First Timer, looking for advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:26 am
Hey guys,
i bought a 97 Civic hatch for $800 as a project a month ago, i am now getting to the body work stage and would like some tips. I have done mechanical work on cars for 10+ years however the most experience i have with painting is small things like grills/interior pieces etc.

With this car i am looking to learn the whole process and purchase whatever i need to do a decent job without spending a unrealistic amount for my first project.

I have replaced the front bumper/fenders/hood/doors and rear bumper with better condition pieces from various sources. The only original panels left are rear quarters and roof. The drivers rear quarter looks like it had a new panel welded on but it was done poorly and shows the entire weld line through the paint. I am wondering if my plan is headed in the right direction.

-Identify problem areas
-Pull dents to the best of my ability
-Sand whole car down
-fill deeper dents with glass reinforced filler?
-sand
-fill same dents and small dents with light filler?
-sand
-finish smoothing everything out with a glaze?
-sand
-Primer whole car (2k epoxy primer)?
-final sanding before spray time
-single stage paint (i've heard easiest for beginners)
-wet sand / cut /polish

Done?

Lastly i am trying to create a list of tools i would need for all this to get a budget in mind.

-Orbital Sander
-Various grits of sandpaper
-Sanding blocks
-Glass filler / light filler / glaze
-Compressor / hoses (already have)
-Gun
-Respirator
-funnel filter
-stir rod / tape / poly other little things
-2k Epoxy Primer
-Single Stage Paint
-cutting/polish agents?

Like i said this is completely new to me, but i'm willing to invest in tools and learn. Any tips or things i have completely wrong would be amazing! Be easy on me :p

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:37 am
Welcome to the forum.
Please visit the Info Center and read the articles there. Also you should read the Sticky Posts at the top of this Section.
All your questions should be answered there.
:welcome:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:24 am
Just read through some of the articles! help's a lot.

Thanks

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:11 am
If you have big dents that are not accessible through the inside to push out. I would invest in a stud gun.
"Filling in bigger dents with filler"
Will come back to haunt you. And seeing as you are staring from scratch with so much repair. I'm assuming the car will be kept a long time. You don't want huge pieces of filler cracking over time.

I would switch to 2 stage paint. Practice spraying on some old panels so when the car is ready. You have an idea of what to do.

If any of your new panels are new, you will need adhesion promoter if they are not already primered.
Good luck and welcome to the forum. :goodjob:
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Return to Body and Paint