Melting clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 pm
I burned a very small section of the clear coat while buffing new paint job. I wrinkled the clear coat, it is about .1875 inches in diameter. I hate to think that would have to refinish the entire panel, therefore I was wondering is it possible to melt the wrinkle with reducer or clear coat with activator. The clear coat is a month old.
Allen

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:33 pm
unfortunately there is no easy way to fix your problem,You will have to sand you wrinkled section smooth,prime,sand and paint.You are better off to spot in your section,blend the color and clear the complete panel.It can be melted in but you need some skills to pull it off.If you have a stripe or body line you can break it off there.To melt in your clear you have to prep the old clear a certain way and blend in your new clear with blending solvent.It can take a few times to get the hang of it.I would just clear the panel....

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:47 pm
Hey, 1976Eldorado.... check your private messages. Sent you general info. on spot blending...
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 pm
The area you burned where on the car is it?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:53 am
The spot is on the edge of the trunk lid, where it bends down to meet the right tail light.
Allen

Return to Body and Paint