Noobie Needs Some Paint Help

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:29 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some ultra-flat dark gray spray paint that can be applied to metal. If possible, a very durable type of paint, as this will be going on ammo cans, tool boxes, things that get bumped around.

I am also looking for some ultra-flat finish. I've been disappointed with the finishes I've got so far, even ones labelled "matte" have a definite shine on the finished product.

It looks like primer and ultra-flat is the only way I can get my desired coloring and finish, but what do you guys think? Oh, and I would vastly prefer rattle cans. I do not have the experience or equipment for professional air spraying.

This is the color gray I'm looking for, even darker if possible. The balance I'm trying to reach is: far darker than most grays used today, and also not so dark that it simply looks black.

http://www.colorhexa.com/2d2d2d.png

Any suggestions are welcome. My final product will be, ideally, a flat dark gray finish, very smooth, with some minimalist white stenciling detailing what is inside. Anything that may help that goal, please feel free to share.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:35 pm
Give the POR 15 Top Coat a try. That sounds like the the best bet for what you are trying to do. It's available in a spray can.

http://www.por15.com/TOP-COAT_p_102.html

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:42 am
Thanks for the lead, but yikes. $144 for a gallon of paint? That's more than I paid for the dozen boxes I'm painting!

Anything in the poor man's category? Anyone have a picture of what Rustoleum Dark Gray Automotive Primer looks like? It's cap is just black, which is very unhelpful, but so far that looks like the closest thing to what I need.

Also, does a super-flat matte finish exist? Only seem to find matte, satin, gloss.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:31 am
I have used rustoleum primer and it comes out dry. Sounds like that's what you want.
The gray primer should come out the same as mine. Looked like what it was dry flat primer.

You are better off spraying with a gun.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:36 am
Well what do you know. I have used the rustoleum can primer. I fogot. I painted my bike a few years ago and used the gray primer.
Looks like I took the pic while it was still drying because some parts are wet and others dry.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 am
I would consider powder coating them if you want them to hold up to wear and tear.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:06 pm
Thanks for the good responses everyone.

As to powder coating; doesn't that take a bunch of equipment and talent? I've never done that before.

I did find Dupli-Color Automotive Primer; Dark Gray, and that worked fairly well. It was also $7 a can, so does anyone know where to get this or something like it in bulk?

Also, in terms of protective matte finishes; any ideas what would leave the least amount of shine? Matte finish is all I could find, and it leaves a definite shine.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:39 pm
Do your homework on powder coating and you will see it doesn't take all the much to get set up.
Rattle can paint jobs are the lowest cost because they are the lowest quality. Take a screw driver to your finished paint job and it will scratch up real easy. Try the same on a powder coated project and you will be amazed at how tough it is.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint