Silver metallic repair

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:17 pm
It doesn't matter what year color it is. That is poor application of putting base on to wet. It's poor application and that paint rep I'd a dooch. He is just backing up the body shop see he doesn't loose the account. Sorry if I'm to blunt but it is what it is. Poor application and it shouldn't have left the shop.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:31 am
Just a quick update.... The shop has 3 locations, so the owner is not fully engaged with every job at every shop, but through persistent and professional complaints (not stomping and cussing), my displeasure made it up to the owner and he met with me and spent quite a while examining the car. He played with the lighting in the shop, turned the car at various angles, and saw exactly what I see and was just as displeased with it as I am. He and a different painter spent some time researching this particular paint, fine tuning their approach, and have had the car a few days now. He assures me it will look like a factory paint job when they are finished. I'll let you know.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:16 pm
Glad to hear they are working with you... keep your fingers crossed.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:15 am
Sorry if this hijacks the thread but... I have posted on here a few times in the past that I have had issues with silver metallic and splotching/stripes. I am very much a newbie but I am curious about the comments pertaining to putting the base on too wet. Can someone elaborate on this some? I am wondering if I too am putting the base on too wet. What approach do others use for not putting it on too wet?
Thanks,
Rick

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:02 pm
Putting base on too wet can cause all sorts of issues. With metallics it is true you can get 'pooling' of the metallics, uneven metallic distribution, etc. Adjust your gun speed and do not try to go for full coverage in one coat. Some colors take 4-5 coats and patience to lay out right.

If you are getting stripes then 99% of the time you have the gun tilted. All it takes is a few degrees off perpendicular to have one end of the spray pattern go on heavier than the other.

As always, get yourself some scrap car parts and practice. There is no substitution for time behind a gun.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:46 pm
Silver is not hard at all to paint. No basecoat is hard to spray. But that's a bad job. They know it's a bad job. And if it was me had they done it twice already they wouldn't get it a third time. You will be pushing your mil thickness now and may hurt the longevity of the paint.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:12 am
PainterDave wrote:Silver is not hard at all to paint. No basecoat is hard to spray. But that's a bad job. They know it's a bad job. And if it was me had they done it twice already they wouldn't get it a third time. You will be pushing your mil thickness now and may hurt the longevity of the paint.

THIS^^^
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:17 am
so being pretty new to all this aswell, can some1 pls correct me if im wrong as im thinking of my next project being a silver color
from my understanding mottling is caused from a few things, by laying the bc on too wet, too high air pressure and incorrect reducer ratio or too fast a reducer??
im not real smart (hence why im a plasterer/drywaller :knockout: ) so technical jargon dont sink in too good, so some good old "advice for dummies" would be appreciated
sorry if i hijacked your thread, and i hope you get your car back in good as new condition!!
krem
Previous

Return to Body and Paint