panel alignment issue, need advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:23 pm
Im working on a 67 Chevelle. I am having a couple of issues.

1) The trunk doesnt have the same contour as the tail light extension on the passenger side but the drivers side is fine. Both qtrs are new AMD panels and so is the tail panel.
Trunk is oem. The trunk bow left to right and front to back is real close to the quarters
and deck filler so I am good there.

IMG_3463.JPG

2) Drivers new AMD fender to door contour is way off and lower crease is much deeper than the door. How to I make the fender (in the middle) bow less to fit the doors bow and also fix the fenders crease to match the doors?

IMG_3381.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:12 pm
welcome to aftermarket parts. it looks like the trunk lid has been bumped on the right corner, it looks to fit every place but there. is the tail light housing oem ? as for the fender contour to the door. I've had to cut the brace inside the fender in several places then flatten the fender until it matches the door then weld the brace. in the last picture it looks like that fender is for a different model. aftermarket parts require a lot of work to get them to fit RIGHT. a lot of times if I have to replace a rear quarter or any part I will try and use as much of the oem panel as I can. it takes a lot of welding and fitting but that's what has to be done for a perfect fit with aftermarket parts. oem if available is the best way to go. you might check with some Chevelle forums and see what they are using.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 pm
Its the correct fender, funny bought right and left. Right is dead on, left is lightyears off.

The trunk has some rust issues so I am thinking about possibly getting another

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:53 pm
yep, that fender is just not right ! your tail light housing looks like it might need to go in at the bottom. that would improve the fit on the upper part. but it still looks like the lid need a little massaging to fit right.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:03 am
In my experience, AMD panels are way closer than the others.
Problem with these older cars is that manufacturer tolerances were not anywhere close to where they are today.
Everything needs "massaging" to get it right. Take some measurements from side to side and see if the tail light housings are the same distance from the rear deck or door openings.
If they check out okay then you will need to work the trunk lid. Start by making sure the gaps are consistent all the way around and then the areas that need work will be evident.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:53 pm
I have personally cut panels apart and rewelded seams and brackets to make some the parts fit and get even gaps. A lot of bending and tweaking is involved especially in older cars. As stated before measure your openings in a "x" pattern and lengths as well. That's will help determine what's short. Measure the deck lid that can be bowed in the center and you don't even notice it.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 pm
Been working on the fitment issues. Here is an update on the rear qtr extension.
I basically hammered the metal around and sliced the end of the qtr to get it all
fitting up as close as I could in metal. I then coated it with some short strand filler
just to get it closer with extension.

Is it ok to level the back of the door to the qtr panel with the short strand? I would hate
to weld the entire edge of the qtr at the jamb just to build it 1/8" or less. What is the proper
practice here? If I take a straight edge on the door and let it hang over onto the 1/4 panel
it looks as if the qtr starts to roll inward about 1" from the bend into the jamb if that makes sense. I want to refine the gap as well as the surface to surface fitment but do it right!

I have the gaps fairly even but the hood is a little tighter than the doors/fenders and I am out of adjustment unless I modify something. What is a tight tolerance for the gaps?
Attachments
IMG_4055.JPG
Hood gap passenger side
IMG_4054.JPG
Hood gap drivers side
IMG_3945.JPG
extension fitment 2
IMG_3946.JPG
extension fitment 1

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:48 pm
Yes use your filler to blend the door to the rear quarter just like you did with the tail light housing. it's about all you can do now. its to late, but when I fit a rear quarter on I will usually leave about 2" of the old quarter at the jamb if its in good condition. this area is usually not folded sharp enough and pulled in as you have seen. buy leaving 2" of the old you keep all that oem look at the door. sure its a lot of fit up time and welding but I think it comes out nice in the end.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:54 am
Thanks Jay. I did not install the metal since I had no skills but I am learning that I probably have more patients and OCD and could have fit them better than who did install them.

I was afraid to add any filler at the end of the qtr where it folds into the door and trunk jambs. Most say it will chip out and to build it with weld and grind. Im not wanting to add
a ton just enough to refine the gap and flush the panels.

Should the initial coat be in short strand and then fill with regular filler like I have started on my extension or just filler?

Any tips or tricks when doing this?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:47 am
use your short strand if that works good for you. 1/8 or less shouldn't be a problem it's done all the time, but welding a bead along there is best if you have the skill and equipment.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint