Whats it called and how to paint it.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:25 am
Hey gang, you know on the older cars there's a piece that's in between the hood and windshield that has those slots that the **** leaves get caught in. What the hell is that called. Also how do you paint it. I'm in the process of primering my 69 Javelin and I'm almost to that piece. Now I've seen it before on some GM cars that they come off, but the Javelin it doesn't. Any suggestions? any help would be cool!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:44 am
Windshield wiper cowel.

Just painted a truck the other day with one, just masked up the windshield and sprayed it, came out nice.
After i had cleaned leaves and twigs out of it, more appeared.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:26 am
It did'nt tiger stripe or anything?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:05 am
No, its too small of a part to get any stripes on it.
Stripes usually happen on roofs or hoods/trunks.

It was a little hard because The cowel had something flat under it, not sure if all cars do.
Had to get coverage on all the ribs of the cowel, while trying to keep it wet, while trying to not get any runs.

GL on yours.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:08 am
Javelin69 wrote:there's a piece that's in between the hood and windshield that has those slots that the **** leaves get caught in. What the hell is that called.

Plenum chamber cover. :wink:
Chris

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:10 am
Thanks guys.

I guess when I meant tiger striping, you know how the louvers have like 20 million slots and the bottom of it is regular sheet metal, how do you not get stripping on the bottom when painting the top. And for that matter how the heck do you paint the bottom without over painting the top?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:19 am
On some vehicles they are easily removed and on others they are not so easy.
60s Mustangs were know for rust issues and proper way to repair them was to remove the cowl grill. This required drilling out a gazillion spot welds.
On the Chevy trucks I am currently working on it simply required removing some screws.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:23 pm
So if I have to remove it by drilling it out and re-welding it, that means I'd have to do this prior to or after it's been painted, so I'd still be running into the same problems? Would'nt I?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:09 pm
You would only paint the plenum and underside of the cowl grill (if you choose to) and then spot weld the grill back in place. You set the grill in place and mark the holes where you will be spot welding. Clean those areas of paint and primer then set your grill in place and if you set your spot weld timer correctly there will be minimal damage to the surrounding paint.
Any damage will be next to the spot welds and covered when you prep and paint the exterior.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:19 pm
The other option is to do what Serf did. You clean it and spray it. I usually spray it first in the direction of the grill vents (front to back, back to front) and kind of sweep the wrist right at the end to extend the spray up under the edges. Then spray the edges and ends.
1968 Coronet R/T

Next

Return to Body and Paint