Newbie looking for advice re paint types etc.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:51 pm
Hi! I am not new to painting cars but it has been many years since the last time I wielded a spray gun! 2k had just been invented!!

I have a 2005 Porsche that I have bought a second hand spoiler for that needs to be colour changed from black to midnight blue, I also want to refinish the front bumper, knowing how much this will cost me I thought I would invest in some spray gear which will save a few pennies and will be useful for other projects too.

Paint types have moved on a lot since I last painted anything so my question is what type of paints should I be looking at? Acrylic, urethane, etc.. All very confusing Obviously will need base coat and clear coat, not sure I will need primer as the spoiler is in great condition but may need it for the bumper but that can wait a while.

Also, I have a decent compressor, 118 psi with a 50 litre tank pushing out 14.5 cfm. Advice re a good budget spray gun would be welcome, around the £80 - £100 mark, HVLP??

Any advise would be really welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:26 pm
DucRob wrote:Hi! I am not new to painting cars but it has been many years since the last time I wielded a spray gun! 2k had just been invented!!

I have a 2005 Porsche that I have bought a second hand spoiler for that needs to be colour changed from black to midnight blue, I also want to refinish the front bumper, knowing how much this will cost me I thought I would invest in some spray gear which will save a few pennies and will be useful for other projects too.

Being in USA I cant even begin to estimate cost etc. Hopefully someone from across the pond will help you with the cost analysis. Here the cost varies with the quality of the paint but I would allow at least $200-400 dollars for material cost. Some quality PPG base can be as high as $150.00/pint. I think blue would be cheaper though.

Paint types have moved on a lot since I last painted anything so my question is what type of paints should I be looking at? Acrylic, urethane, etc.. All very confusing Obviously will need base coat and clear coat, not sure I will need primer as the spoiler is in great condition but may need it for the bumper but that can wait a while.

If you need a good match with the spoiler and bumper I would use base from either PPG or DuPont. I think PPG matches a little better. There are a lot of companies that use clear but I use ********** clears and have had great results. I would stay away from PPG Omni clear as everything I have painted with it flaked after about 5 years. I prefer urethane for everything these days. I use ********** 2k regular fill primer on pretty much everything.

If the spoiler is in good shape you can either sand it real good with 600 grit paper or scuff real good with a red scotch pad. I prefer water no matter what I use. Sand paper will flatten the paint better if there is some texture to the original paint. They say ********** clear is so flexible it can be used on bumpers with no flex additive added, but I add some anyways to ensure it doesn't crack if bumped.

Also, I have a decent compressor, 118 psi with a 50 litre tank pushing out 14.5 cfm. Advice re a good budget spray gun would be welcome, around the £80 - £100 mark, HVLP??

Sorry, I can't help you much here. Your compressor may be a little small if my conversions are right for some HVLP guns. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help you out more on equipment purchase.

Any advise would be really welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Return to Body and Paint