Paint damage from wrap or preexisting condition?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:43 am
I bought a car a little over a year ago with a wrap on the roof that was in not so good condition. Yesterday i finally decided it was time to remove and rewrap it. I figured it'd be tough since the wrap was faded, brittle, and cracking. As i slowly started getting the wrap off I noticed the white paint was yellowed, and textured to the point that it was no longer glossy, and I'm thinking might have to be repainted. I know it wasn't something i did as the back 5 inches of the wrap had a different look than the rest of it, and the paint under that part is yellow but still glossy. I'm just trying to figure my best course of action. The pictures aren't great, but I'll post them.

First picture shows the line where the rough texture starts. Second shows the difference in color, the portion that was wrapped under the removed roof liner is still white and smooth. Third and forth show the yellow and splotchy color.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:02 pm
You may need to repaint it, but first I would try
a good sanding and buffing.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:20 am
JCCLARK wrote:You may need to repaint it, but first I would try
a good sanding and buffing.

As bad add it is I'm just going to get it painted. Some hole in the wall body shop tried quoting me $1400 to paint the roof which seemed nuts. Maaco quoted $650. Not the greatest place, but it'll be stripped to metal, primed, painted, and multiple layers of clear so I can buff it in the future. Oh well, at least it'll look great when it's done.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:53 am
And that's why the roof was wrapped. If you are going to go back with the wrap, why repaint now?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:56 pm
BeoBob wrote:And that's why the roof was wrapped. If you are going to go back with the wrap, why repaint now?

I was going to wrap it until I saw the paint. The texture of the paint caused the wrap to go bad quick. The back portion that was smooth peeled easy, but the textured part will either need to be sanded or razored off. So I might as well spend extra and just get it painted gloss black instead of wrapped gloss black.

Return to Body and Paint