How can I paint over old bus logo?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:01 pm
Hi, I'm new here - first post. I've read all of the rules.

I've searched the forum for answers that match my needs-but no luck. It could be that there is no help for me

I need some advise.
I have a food truck that was once a yellow school bus, and the previous owner painted it red without stripping off the old paint or the old school logo & phone number. The logo & number are faint, but they can still be seen.

I can't afford a new paint job. What can I do to make sure that the old school name can't be seen anymore?
I tried using a spray paint from the auto store, but that didn't work.

Another concern I have is, some of the paint is chipping off, and the metal is exposed. Do I need to do something about that? How do I tackle that when it is around the Vinal letters & numbers of my business name & number?

One more thing is, the red paint is dull and faded looking. Can I do something to it, to make it look more vibrant?

I can add a couple of photos if that helps.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:01 pm
Monica, the answer on this is not going to be what you want to hear. The paint on that vehicle is questionable at best, and it is obviously failing in several spots.

It'll need to be stripped and repainted if you want it to last. Or sell the bus and try to find another one in better shape as an easier starting point.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:20 pm
Unfortunately your bus appearance is in really bad shape and not much can be done to restore the paint that is on it. Do you have any tools or any type of budget? That may help with giving advice.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 pm
chris wrote:Monica, the answer on this is not going to be what you want to hear. The paint on that vehicle is questionable at best, and it is obviously failing in several spots.

It'll need to be stripped and repainted if you want it to last. Or sell the bus and try to find another one in better shape as an easier starting point.

Thank you Chris. This is what I feared.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:32 pm
Mkbrower wrote:Unfortunately your bus appearance is in really bad shape and not much can be done to restore the paint that is on it. Do you have any tools or any type of budget? That may help with giving advice.

I do have a lot of tools. Which in particular would I need? The budget depends on what I can get.

One person recently said that I can deoxodize it, and that they can print vinyl stickers, related to my logo, to place over the places that have chipped away.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:34 pm
chris wrote:Monica, the answer on this is not going to be what you want to hear. The paint on that vehicle is questionable at best, and it is obviously failing in several spots.

Unfortunetly, I can't purchase a whole new vehicle - the engine is in great condition and I've already had the kitchen built. People say that the condition of the paint on the outside gives it a vintage look. There was a wonderful article written about my business stating this as well.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:55 pm
To me this is easy....we do combination "looks" like this for people that do "shabby chic" and barn reno. buildouts in high end home basements. For us its' a lot of the weathered look and then people have antique lettering and labels created for that nostalgic look. Keep that vintage look you've got and just hook up with a good vinyl/graphics/wrap sign shop. It sounds like you might already have that person now. Just make sure your paint is at least sound and not chipping excessively, peeling, etc. Vinyl can get costly so you might want to consider a two step vinyl process. Around me they use a large piece of square, round, whatever shape piece to block out an area then do the smaller vinyl artwork over that thus reducing costs. I've seen a couple of food trucks at our car shows done this way. It flowed right into the vintage look of the trucks.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:45 am
MonicaD+1 wrote:Unfortunetly, I can't purchase a whole new vehicle - the engine is in great condition and I've already had the kitchen built. People say that the condition of the paint on the outside gives it a vintage look. There was a wonderful article written about my business stating this as well.

I've been down this road before because I owned a sign company for years. Remove the existing vinyl letters. Scrape and sand very well any loose paint, leaving what is stable. Paint with faster drying product like Krylon or Rustoleum Professional or similar, sanding/wiping between different colored coats. Do not use a slow drying paint. You can use auto paint or a budget minded paint as noted.

You can apply vinyls over this or have the shop cut Gerbermask. With the mask you can spray or roll your lettering and make them have a patina to match the rest of the truck. It can be hand lettered and a patina created but there are not many of us left. Most sign shop owners don't know what a lettering or pinstriping brush looks like.

Plenty of info and videos out there on how to achieve and match a patina and worn paint.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:03 pm
Thank you all for such great ideas! I love the collective artistic creativity!. I'm honestly impressed that something hopeless can be made into something wonderful! Yay!

Return to Body and Paint