How can I tackle this door sill rust?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:29 am
Hi from Scotland! Stumbled across this great forum while googling how to get rid of rust.

I have a little VW Polo that is in good condition other then drivers side has had a little bump on the door and hit the sill as well and has now developed some nasty rust.

I plan on getting a good clean wing and door but unsure how to tackle the door sill with it being on a bend and in the corner.

Do I clean up all the rust back to bear metal cut out the old then weld in new metal, fill with filler prime and paint ?
Can someone maybe draw some diagrams on my photo as I don't know where to start cheers

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:10 am
I would start with a dual action sander and 80 grit.
Sand the area to feather the paint back to solid metal. Use a spot blaster to get rid of the remaining rust in the pitted areas.
Those bubbles are rust under the paint almost ready to break through so address those as well.
Apply a quality 2 part epoxy primer over the metal (you can use a brush if necessary) and let cure overnight.
If necessary apply some filler right over the epoxy to and sand to level the surface.
Apply some 2k build primer and block sand to level with the surrounding good paint. You will need to prep well beyond your damaged areas.

To paint it properly you will need to blend into the surrounding areas and then clear the entire door. Same with the sill panel and front fender.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:20 am
Djyo wrote:Do I clean up all the rust back to bear metal cut out the old then weld in new metal, fill with filler prime and paint ?
Can someone maybe draw some diagrams on my photo as I don't know where to start cheers

I'm working on my first job, but I'm tackling rust spots similar to yours.

First, I would try and figure out how bad the rust is (surface versus rust-through). Clean up rust spot and surrounding area using 80 grit paper and/or wire wheel until you get to clean metal. It doesn't have to be fully clean of rust at this point, just enough to examine damage. If possible take a look at the backside of the area to see if rust is coming through or it is just surface rust (if it isn't obvious from the outside). This will give a better assessment of what will be needed to be done. However, I think your process looks about right.

Make sure you get rid of all the rust during the repair or it will come back. I plan on sandblasting the spots. Some will use rust converters, but I have read that they can mess with your paint if your not careful.

Return to Body and Paint