Fixing damage/runs in single stage paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:54 am
Hi everyone. First post here.

The car is a '67 Volvo 122S. Last year, I rebuilt it and my friend painted it in his garage. It was his first paint job and he used this forum to learn a lot before he sprayed it, so thanks!

I use this car for vintage rallying, so I'm not looking for perfection. But I also have sponsors and use the car for some promotions, so I don't want it to look like crap either. The car was painted in single stage from NAPA. I still have paint leftover and I also have two spray cans that they mixed for me.

There are three things I would like to fix on the car:

1. I had sponsor/rally decals on the car and when taking them off, they stripped off big chunks of paint. I used a heat gun too. There are two places this happened, one on the hood and one on a rear door. I'd love to not have to respray the whole hood/door, but I hear blending single stay is a nightmare. Any advice? Photo of damage:

2. There are a few spots with nasty runs, like this one. Any advice on how to clean that up at all, without respraying the door? Yes, there's also some crap in the paint, not sure what happened there.

3. Somebody got a bit too close to the car when we were putting the engine back it, and made a gash in the paint with some sort of tool. What's the best course of action here?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:36 am
What kind of single stage is it?
Lacquer, enamel, acrylic enamel, urethane?
They are all quite different.
It's always better to repaint the entire panel, but with some
single stage paints, like urethanes which are what clear coats are,
you can sand and buff it the same just like clear coats.
That's if it's not a metallic, even then, it's sometimes possible
for a small rub-out.
At this point you probably have nothing to loose by trying
to sand out the run and buffing it.
But probably you'll end up respraying.
With a metallic, you may want to blend the color then clearcoat the entire panel
with a regular urethane clear to be able to buff it out.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:58 am
You'll have to feather out that tear you made in the paint, even better strip the hood and repaint it. Looks like it wasn't sanded the first time around correctly.

The panel with the runs might as well be resprayed. Those huge pieces of dust wont come off with out ripping any paint off. They look deep in there.

The time you'll spend sanding the run and buffing may be the same time it will take to sand the door down and re spray it.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Return to Body and Paint