Primer going on dry

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:22 pm
When it starts sputtering check your cap. If you have primer build up on the air horns use some paint thinner and clean it off. And If you're looking for a lower cost gun to shoot primer you can try the Eastwood Concours gun with the 1.8 setup. It's working for me but don't buy their low PSI rating. I'm shooting with the gauge set at 45psi and it drops to about 40 with the gun wide open.

Edit: I'm using the Tamco build primer. YMMV.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:23 pm
How hot is it when you are spraying ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:51 pm
PainterDave wrote:How hot is it when you are spraying ?

It was about 70-75 in my garage today.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:14 am
watchdog wrote:
mikhett wrote:If your gun has a filter in it,Throw it in the trash ,it will clog up .strain your primer and you wont need that filter.

I did that as well. Didn't help. Today I actually made it thru a full time around the car and it was going on good but by the end of it it started sputtering. So what I had if I tried to walk the panel was a fan pattern on the panel the a sputter (no primer) then another fan pattern of primer the another dry spot etc etc.....what gives? So I had to stop.... Is it setting up that quickly in my gun? It's ********** high build. Pot life I think 30-45 minutes and I did reduce it. When it was coming out of my gun continuously it was perfect but when it sputtered it screwed me. Don't know what else to try but I have to get 2 more coats on it. I'm thinking of putting a coat on....taking the gun apart and cleaning it then spray another coat. Help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Is your air compressor large enough to keep up with the gun? It sounds like the volume of air is decreasing as you walk the panel.
Check the CFM requirement of the gun and then the CFM output of the Compressor. Compressor rating should be at least 10% higher than the gun's requirement.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:04 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
watchdog wrote:
mikhett wrote:If your gun has a filter in it,Throw it in the trash ,it will clog up .strain your primer and you wont need that filter.

I did that as well. Didn't help. Today I actually made it thru a full time around the car and it was going on good but by the end of it it started sputtering. So what I had if I tried to walk the panel was a fan pattern on the panel the a sputter (no primer) then another fan pattern of primer the another dry spot etc etc.....what gives? So I had to stop.... Is it setting up that quickly in my gun? It's ********** high build. Pot life I think 30-45 minutes and I did reduce it. When it was coming out of my gun continuously it was perfect but when it sputtered it screwed me. Don't know what else to try but I have to get 2 more coats on it. I'm thinking of putting a coat on....taking the gun apart and cleaning it then spray another coat. Help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Is your air compressor large enough to keep up with the gun? It sounds like the volume of air is decreasing as you walk the panel.
Check the CFM requirement of the gun and then the CFM output of the Compressor. Compressor rating should be at least 10% higher than the gun's requirement.

I'll have to check the specs but it's a craftsman 60 gallon 3.2 hp. The last time I looked at the cfms I thought it would be OK. I've had it for probably 10 years. It works fine when spraying epoxy. Also....this happens when the tank is completely full.

10.2 scfm @ 90 psi
12.4 sfcm @ 40 psi

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:42 pm
Are those the specs for your gun?
I looked on the Horrible Freight website but couldn't find where it stated tip size. However I did see where the Central Pneumatic Professional Spray Gun states the following air requirement: 15 CFM @ 40 PSI
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:50 pm
BeoBob wrote:Yep. Been there and tried that. Gave up on the HF gun I have for primer. I was hoping it would be my primer gun. But even with the largest tip it just couldn't flow enough of the thick material to avoid the problem you are having.

You can add some reducer, maybe narrow you fan a tad, drop your pressure a bit more. Your just going to have to fool with gun settings and shooting technique until you get the best out of the tools you are using.

I would think that this post by BeoBob contains the solution to your problem. Learn from someone with the same experience using the same tools.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:10 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
BeoBob wrote:Yep. Been there and tried that. Gave up on the HF gun I have for primer. I was hoping it would be my primer gun. But even with the largest tip it just couldn't flow enough of the thick material to avoid the problem you are having.

You can add some reducer, maybe narrow you fan a tad, drop your pressure a bit more. Your just going to have to fool with gun settings and shooting technique until you get the best out of the tools you are using.

I would think that this post by BeoBob contains the solution to your problem. Learn from someone with the same experience using the same tools.

I took a ride to Eastwood today. I bought one of their concours guns. I'll try the primer with that. I also bought a shorter (25 foot) hose. Also I wanted to buy was the high flow hvlp fitting that goes in the end of the gun where the hose connects to but Eastwood doesn't carry it. Can someone verify they do exist? I can't seem to find it online anywhere. I'm hoping these changes will let me get another 2 coats of high build on. I won't be painting it here at my house in my garage but at a friend's autobody shop where it's nice and clean. Then I'll get a new compressor down the road before my next project (70 monte carlo). Thanks for the help.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:01 pm
Is it a 1/4 NPT thread ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor