Priming inside cab/fenders ect

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:50 pm
Have been reading thru a lot of the info posted and am learning quite a bit (thanks everyone).....but like a lot of the newbies on here the more I read the more questions I have.
Doing a restore on an 86 chev,it will be a daily driver. Not going to bare steel but have done all repairs and sanded everything with 120 planning to spray epoxy then high build primer. Doing this in stages and plan to do final paint inside cab, inside doors, fenders ect then reassemble everything for the final paint on the body. My questions are:
Is there any reason to use a second primer over the epoxy inside cab, firewalls ect or should I go straight to Color? Was thinking to high build just to fill scratches better and also because it will be some time between priming and final Color (out of the recoat time)so I thought high build would be easier to sand then epoxy?
Because most of these areas require hand sanding (cannot get in all areas with a block) am I going to make things look worse sanding high build rather than just scuffing and painting over the epoxy?
Or is my entire plan flawed??
Thanks in advance.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:36 am
There are many times I shoot color over epoxy primer. If you are satisfied with the way it looks then by all means spray it.
Remember you can wet sand the epoxy if you need to. Generally the longer you wait before sanding the easier it is to sand. Also, if you plan to go straight to paint without sanding the epoxy you must stay within the recoat window.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint