Advice needed after dipping the shell

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:17 pm
Hi guys,
The next project is a 72 Datsun 240Z, it has rust in all the usual areas but not a lot by salty Ontario standards. I have saved enough to have the shell chemically dipped. The dip company, Technostrip sprays the car down with a water based rust inhibitor after the dip but recommends priming/painting within 2-3 wks, I doubt I will get all the welding repairs finished in that time so I was thinking about extending my work time by spraying the car down with Eastwoods 'After Blast". After the welding is done wipe everything down with Eastwoods 'PRE', seam seal, epoxy prime, paint the inside of the cab with Lizard skin, then hand the project over to the paint shop. Does that sound like a good plan?
Thanks,
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 pm
I had my body dipped by a company called Redi-dip back in the 90's. I'm sure EPA regulations have changed since then. They put a zinc coating on it after the dip for a fee that kept it from rusting while I did panel work. It was more than 3 weeks.

I think I'd just epoxy it and sand back areas where I need to weld. You have a chunk invested in the dip so it's best to prevent the rust and move forward.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:21 pm
as above, I would mask all the areas that you plan to work on then epoxy it
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint