Need advice for an "OK" paint project

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:50 pm
Hello,

I know that most info here is about getting the best possible paint result. But for this job, I'm only looking for an OK result.

I bought an old 74 Charger that needs a lot of love. There's nothing on it that doesn't need work (which I'll do myself), and that includes the paint (where I have zero experience). The paint is not that bad, but there are a lot of spots where the paint is beginning to flake off. The car probably isn't worth the price of a professional pain job (in fact it's at least two cars fused together to make one with an engine from another model year), but I'd really like to fix those spots. Trouble is that some panels will end up looking like leopards, with spots all over them, while other are very good.

The car is (non-original) red with a black "drop" on the hood, and I'd like to keep this color scheme. The clear is gone on all of the horizontal panels, but I managed to sand and polish the pink out of it.

So, as I said I'm not looking for the perfect result, just pretty good. Any advice on what type of paint, system or techniques I should use?

Thanks

Loa

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:25 pm
hard to say without photos. but sounds like your paint life is gone.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint