Painting Sequence

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:23 pm
My corvair is in primer with doors, hood, engine lid and all other smaller body parts removed. No glass, interior, etc. installed either. Do I paint the parts separately from the body, or paint the jambs and other areas not accessible to paint if assembled, assemble the car, and paint the whole body in one shot? How does the clear coat fit into this sequence?

Thanks!
Ken
66 Chevy Corvair Monza

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:52 pm
what's the color?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:38 am
Merlot (dark maroon), non-metalic.
Ken
66 Chevy Corvair Monza

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:40 am
With solid colors I like to spray the body, jambs and all then move it out of the way. I have a separate stall. then shoot the rest of the parts in 1 or more sessions. I'll do the doors and undersides of the hood and engine cover. then put the doors on the body that way they are out of the way. then do the hood and engine cover top side. or you can just do the jambs then mask and shoot it all at one time. several ways to do this.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:04 am
The things to remember if you paint them all separate are:
1. Repeat the process each time. Same number of coats, over lap, pressure, etc.
2. Great care must be exercised when reassembling so as not to nick or scratch your paint. This can be tricky with the doors especially.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:49 am
Thank you for the guidance...off to the garage/booth.... :happy:
Ken
66 Chevy Corvair Monza

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm
When painting the whole body without the doors, hood and trunk lid, is it best to paint all the jambs and other non-panel areas first? Or is it best to simply paint them as a continuation of the panels? (Or is some other approach better....)

Also, is it a common practice to adjust the gun to a spot vs. a fan, in order to get into areas that are narrow, or just tilt the gun as necessary?

Thanks!
Ken
66 Chevy Corvair Monza

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:38 pm
I all depends, if its an area were I might get to much build from making several passes on an irregular area. I will shoot part of it then go on and give my first coats time to tack just a little and then come back and finish it. experience helps a lot here. yes you can adjust your fan and fluid, remember if you make your fan smaller you need to cut down the fluid again experience helps. tilting the gun will probably get you in trouble.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 pm
I spent a good amount of time playing with my evo 4014 gun this afternoon, learning how to tweak fan size and flow. And as you cited, I noted that if the fan size is reduced to a spot, I had to significantly reduce the paint flow rate. I was shooting primer all day. It's a real slow gun, but very controllable and great transfer rate.

Also, I was having a challenge with spraying under the rockers since I have a regulator and a water separator under the handle, so I couldn't get low enough to the floor without significantly tilting the gun. I'm buying a swivel connector tomorrow morning, so the hose connection will bend 90 degrees at the gun and that will get me low enough to the floor.

There's a lot of odd air inlets on the corvair that doesn't lend to using a fan paint pattern. I'm shooting the base and clear coats tomorrow...hopefully it turns out to be better than an expensive learning experience....

Thanks for your guidance!
Ken
66 Chevy Corvair Monza

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 pm
Don't forget you can rotate the air cap, so you can have your gun at say a 45 and your spray pattern at vertical or horizontal or anywhere in between. you really should get that stuff off your gun. I have a belt with a trap on it and a light weight hose to the gun. no regulator its on the wall. I don't see how people paint with all that stuff hanging off the gun.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint