Re-base coating wheel question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:55 pm
I have an alloy wheel that had some bad curb rash that I repaired with bondo and then after thoroughly scuffing the wheel with 240 grit I primed with direct to metal primer. After 24 hours to cure I wet sanded the primer with 400-600 grit until nice and smooth.

I then sprayed about 2 coats of Omni base coat in a generic fleet silver color that is a nice match to my other wheels. I say about 2 coats because with all the nooks and crannies some areas probably ended up getting hit with a bit more and some a bit less.

Nevertheless everything went on nice and smooth and looked great, until a large flying insect landed on the still wet base getting stuck in it.

After the base thoroughly dried I removed the insect and sanded the area smooth with 400-600 grit. I then ran out of time for the day so I decided to let it rest in my garage overnight.

Tomorrow morning can I just spot in the sanded area with more silver base, then put one more coat over the rest of the wheel to even everything out? More importantly do I need to scuff the base on the rest of the wheel first or can I just shoot the new coat right on top of what is already there?

Sorry I don't have the exact line of paint because the paint store didn't have the proper labels for the can, but it is Omni if that helps. It is reduced 1:1 with reducer. I did not use hardener as it wasn't recommended or needed.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:15 am
I would re scuff the base with a gray scotch Brite or 600-800 and re base.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:26 pm
Thanks for the great advice. I scuffed the whole thing; spotted in the silver on the small area and cleared the whole wheel. Except for a couple tiny runs on some inconspicuous areas it turned out perfectly.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:24 pm
glad to hear it
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint