Can I buff out new single stage

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:31 pm
So I don't think I made the best choice and had my 1974 Vespa painted by a backyard painter. I saw some of his restored cars and liked the finish. He used single stage paint and when I saw it today it had like a sediment finish on it in some spots. maybe pollen. Or dust . A few tiny bugs also. Will I be able to buff it out to
make it smooth? If so how long should I let it dry before doing that? Or am I scr3wed?
Attachments
image.jpeg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:07 pm
sure you can, if its been catalyzed give it about 48 hours and try it . It looks peely to me in the light. it depend on how much paint he applied if you can sand it smooth with out going through. also its got a lot of irregular surfaces and small parts that are difficult to hold that's going to make buffing difficult. what I would do is see if he can do it over and maybe a little better. if it doesn't come out better then at least you will have enough material to buff on. I would much rather redo something like that than try and buff it. buffing is a lot of work with a lot of complications, I hate buffing.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:12 pm
Not a fan of polishing either. Your paint would fail if you ever got that job smooth enough. There would be too little paint and the sun would destroy it. Sand that thing down with 600-800 and be careful not to burn through to much and the resort should go on nice.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint