Should I add Fish Eye Eliminator to Single Stage

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:03 pm
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm currently working on body and paint on a 2011 Dodge bed and door. My question is should I use fish eye eliminator in my single stage urethane? I'm spraying over fresh 2k primer and it's been covered since I prepped it for paint. I've never used a fish eye eliminator on a Single Stage but this is a outdoor spray due to lack of a booth so I'm concerned about contaminants. Just wanna know what u guys think?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:05 am
yes you can use FEE in your urethane. be sure you get the right stuff there use to be 2 types one for non catalyzed and one for catalyzed paint, use it sparingly. get the product info sheet not the MSDS and read it. if your primer went on without any FEE then you should be able to just wipe it down good with wax and grease remover or similar and shoot. remember to let the wax and grease remover evaporate good.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:56 am
I wouldn't use it just because of the lack of a booth, or that you are spraying outside either.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:31 pm
Fisheyes usually happen when you get contaminants like oil in your air line, not just because you are painting outside or don't have a paint booth. Some things you can use to prevent that are by getting some water traps that screw on the bottom of your gun between the gun and your regulator. You could also use a dessicant snake on your air hose to help trap some of the contaminants.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:35 pm
Thanks for the advice guys. Im working with limited resources but I do have a filter on my compressor and one right at the gun. I did a test spray without the eliminator and it turned out great so I decided to go without. Thanks for the advice I'll be spraying tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:20 am
Well I didn't get any fisheyes so that's a plus. I was fighting more with wind, bugs, my gun clogging and this is also the first time I've sprayed a SS pearl. Idk how to post pics otherwise I would. Turned out ok but I only did 2 wet coats. I'm gonna wait and just wet sand the bugs out and make a plastic sheet booth before I finish though. And put up a bug light.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:47 am
SS pearl ? Few problems with that.
Anything with pearl in it requires a clear coat for UV protection.
You generally can't cut and buff SS pearls or metallics because you'll cut into the Metallics.

Did you paint in the evening ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:20 am
PainterDave wrote:SS pearl ? Few problems with that.
Anything with pearl in it requires a clear coat for UV protection.
You generally can't cut and buff SS pearls or metallics because you'll cut into the Metallics.

Did you paint in the evening ?

Ya it's a SS Dark Garnett Red Pearl. Chrysler/Dodge color code PRV. Its usually a BC/CC but I was strapped for time and as well my customer. I'd post the pic if I could so you could see what I'm talking bout but still new here. I'm not looking to cut a rub though just cut and respray in a better environment.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:17 am
as Dave ask did you spray late in the day. your better off to do it mid morning when the temp. has stabilized and the bugs haven't woke up yet. don't spray in the direct sunlight.
if you plan on doing this at home you should really try and make a booth of some kind. a few 2x4s and some visqueen , maybe a silver tarp for the top to reflect some heat. you don't want it blistering hot inside, plus you'll need a fan system. if your doing this for other people ( customer ) you want to be carful about the jobs you turn out, a few bad jobs can ruin your reputation quickly.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:55 pm
Well ts more of a friend than a customer. I did make a booth out of 2 4x4 stands and sealed with plastic. I left the opening to the shop clear with 2 fans for ventilation and put a screen on the entrance so I can leave it open. The shop is very small so that's why I don't spray inside. As you guys asked, yes I am spraying in the evening it's been the only time I can seeing as this is a side thing so I work 7-5. I was also having some issues with my gun but I worked those out. I have wet sanded all the dry spray and bugs out and will be spraying the next coat tomorrow morning at 5:30am.
Next

Return to Body and Paint