trunk painting technique?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:47 am
I'm getting ready to spray the body of my 65 Mustang with SS non-metallic. Fenders, doors, hood, trunk lid are being painted separately. I used a regular top loading HVLP to prime the trunk, but it was difficult to say the least to get into all the places I wanted. I even removed the gas tank and came up through that opening. Should I use a detail gun for better clearance? Also, I'm wondering if I should spray the color in the trunk separately (masking at the weather stripping track to hide the line), or try to do it at the same time as the body? Was wondering if anyone had any advice? Thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:28 pm
I like to spray the trunk then mask, or put the lid on and paint it at the same time as the outside of the rest of the vehicle. paint the underside of the lid and at the same time jamb the trunk opening, then mask both up and put the lid on. you can back tape or use the foam just inside of the trunk opening and no one will ever see it. if you try to paint it at the same time you will most likely get dust and dirt all over the outside being blown up out of the trunk area, no mater how clean you think it is.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:13 pm
Lot's of ways to do it.
I normally spray the underside of the hood and deck lid, the inside of the doors, jambs, engine bay and inside of car first. Assemble and then spray the outside.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:20 pm
So how do you guys get into all of those tight places inside the trunk? Do you use the same gun or a detail gun?

Return to Body and Paint