drying/recoat times epoxy+hi build.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:57 am
hey yall.
basically im painting an engine bay, first timer. ive got the bay down to bare metal, painted epoxy 4 days ago, put down filler after a day of the epoxy going down. ive sanded the filler with 60 grit and will go over it with 80/180/220. now my issue is the car has to be moved in a couple days (crossmember is out for painting the bay).

so im thinking that when i finish work tomorrow i can finish the sanding, put a light coat of 2k epoxy down, give it an hour. then put 2 coats of 2k hi build, leave it over night. sand with 400/600 the next day and lay down BC/CC. there is no tech data sheet with the epoxy as it is made by a local shop. the hi build is by 4cr and they state drying time 3-5hrs at 20c (its our winter here av temp 17c/62f during day)
but dont mention with what hardener (im using the rapid). will this procedure work without shrinkage or any other fails? am i better off just letting the epoxy dry over night, then paint the hi build the next day and let that dry over night again before bc/cc?

thanks for any help

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 am
Sounds ok - but why the extra coat of epoxy over what you have now? You could go right to 2K and avoid the epoxy (which does cure slower than 2K primer).

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 am
thanks for the reply!,

ive flattened out the filler and taken off quite alot of the epoxy back to bare metal.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm
Yes epoxy and then go over that with a few coats of your primer depending on heat in your area you will need about 15-30 flash time. The epoxy will stick to all of your bare metal and your primer will stick to the epoxy. Or you could probably use some UPOL acid 8 1k etch primer on your bare metal and go straight to primer. There are also acid wipes for bare metal spots that work well. But you got the basic idea. Good luck
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint