Help with finding the perfect candy red

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm
Screenshot_2016-05-23-08-37-45.png

So im painting a car and i want to do a candy red a very dark one. I would like to get one as close to the color on the bmw above, i would like to see if anyone has a favorite red and paint code for a red like this! Any help would be very appreciated i want the car to be a show stopper!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:10 pm
IM000797.JPG
Chevy SuperStepside
Well, I'll say I was going for a little brighter candy than what you want there but the idea can't be too different. This is the Superstepside truck I built from a 1990 Chevy Caprice some years back. I was working in Auto Air Colors water based paints. Didn't use any paint code, winged it and made card samples of what I like and kept notes on how I achieved it. That started with a flat black base, coarse silver, and their candy apple red. It was finished up with PPG 2021 clear. In low light it appeared like a deep merlot and in sun it was like hot red/pink.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:27 pm
House of Kolor galaxy gray
UK11 apple red
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:19 pm
House of Kolor Brandywine over a black base.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:18 pm
Thanks everybody i definitely am gonna go with the brandywine over black it looks killer, so i have some more questions, thought id ask them on the same thread rather than starting another plus you guys will already know the color im going with.
So the question is i want to do everything, as in under the hood, the door jams, under the trunk, inside the trunk engine bay, and everything else, how should i go about doing this since its a kandy color and most likely has flake i need all the panels on the car and to walk the car, so should i just take the doors and trunk and hood off and spray the jams and under the hood and trunk and engine bay and then put everything back in and walk the car? The only thing im worried about is leaving hard lines or being able to see where i back taped and all that. I want it to look uniform

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:01 pm
kandy is not metallic nor does it have flake in it. it is tinted clear. if you do black it will look black. you can do a metallic black but it will come out much darker than your photo.

i would suggest doing all jambs and underhood with the KK style kandy and the outside with UK style kandy. after you spray your jambs you can use a EZ edger to mask them leaving a very soft edge that you could polish with a mini buffer. kandy is tricky i myself do not walk the car. hard to say how you should paint it. it is taught to walk the length of the cat or object. this will be easier for you to do on some jack stands.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:52 pm
Here are some photos of Kandy chips
Attachments
image.jpeg
kandy basecoat not a true kandy but easier to spray
image.jpeg
the base colors HoK uses for the kandy
image.jpeg
BC-02 silver and BC-03 gray
image.jpeg
same basecoats as above only using red

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:47 pm
PainterDave wrote:Here are some photos of Kandy chips

Yeah i did some more research and over black is way to dark, ive made the choice of brandywine over silver, would it just be easier to paint the fenders, doors, hood and all that off the car then? Im just worried about about each panel matching eachother, and also whats the difference between the kk and uk line? Are each really hard to spray? Thanks for tge feedback i appreciate it!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:59 pm
Leave everything on the car. That is the best way to make sure that everything will be the same color. If you are going to paint everything, the only thing I would suggest taking off are the headlights and taillights so you don't have to tape those off.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 am
KK is used in a carrier like SG-100 or DBC500.
it is a concentrate that is pretty strong and used for things like jambs or small parts.
You can also use it to make UK Kandy stronger darker and therefore requiring less coats.

UK Kandy is pretty much urethane clear already tinted for you. But will also require you to clear over this.

Both types have pros and cons. More so for you having never sprayed it.
Going over silver is the hardest one to do. It will require five coats or more to achieve the look you want. The KK spraying like a basecoat after mixing to your desired strength is easier for a painters first Kandy job. But being it require so many coats the build up of basecoat could and does fail.

The CON on UK would depend if you're comfortable putting up to 8 coats of clear on a car without running it. If you run the Kandy you're screwed.

If you need anymore help let me know.

Valspar DeBeer LIC
Next

Return to Body and Paint