PPG Shop-Line 355 DTM or not??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 pm
I was wondering if Shop-Line 355 primer is DTM? I have never used it and I don't see anywhere on the can or data sheet that specifically says it is. I used PPG epoxy primer, finished my filler work over the epoxy and was going to put my first coat of high build primer on but was concerned about putting this stuff on over some bare metal edges. I'd rather not mix up more epoxy primer just to spray the bare spots then have to clean the gun and spray the high build. It's a bit of a hassle time wise and material as well. I'm hoping others here can confirm whether or not it's DTM?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:32 pm
No, it's not a DTM primer. It can be used as a surfacer or as a sealer. Usually the only DTM primers are an etch primer, epoxy or a polyester.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:31 am
Thanks for the reply. I've been out of the industry since the late 90's and much has changed with regards to what's on the market and the cost of materials.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:48 pm
First lesson learned with Shop-Line 355...use little to no reducer for the 1st couple of coats or else it's not much of a high build primer if mixed 4:1:2 as stated in the literature for a primer surfacer.

Return to Body and Paint