Re-spraying clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:17 pm
So I have sprayed every thing on the car and it actually came out pretty good in my opinion for a first time paint job on such a large scale. Very little orange peel (i did about 12 test panels trying differed things to get the gun settings just right) but there is a decent amount of trash in the paint. I built a pretty good booth in my garage but it still does no justice to keeping contaminates out.

I don't plan on keeping the booth up for much longer but I have had some issues with trash in a few panels so I sanded them back down to 800 and re-cleared them and they came out great. (I have plenty of extra clear)

My question:

If I wet sand a panel down with 6-800 because I'm not sure of which level the debris is hiding in (I would assume its in the clear) and then re-clear the entire panel am I jeopardizing/messing with the integrity of the clear coat that I'm spraying over top of. I am basically asking for the risk of assuming that the trash is in the clear versus the base coat. I have zero issues sanding and figuring out where the debris is while I have the booth up but I don't want to sand down the clear (to figure out if i need to respray a spot of base coat prior to taking down the paint booth) because I don't plan on cutting and buffing for a few months to give it time to harden up.

In simple words... if i re-sand the clear coat and respray 2 coats of clear am i hurting anything... because if there is trash in the base coat i want to know before i take down my booth so i can fix it.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
Sand the clear with 800
Reclear two coats
Don't wait two months to polish.
Polish in a day or two.

No you will not hurt anything. By cutting and reclearing you are actually doing something really good for your paint. You shouldn't see anything. But I also don't know what you mean by trash in your paint. Do you mean empty milk jugs and food cartons flew in your paint or is it just dirt nibs ? Sorry for the jokes lol
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 am
Is this car a restoration or just a collision job? If resto do what Dave said but I would like to see car put out in sun for a day or so and then cut and buff. Good luck

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:50 am
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24758

Full paint job

That answers my question. To make it simple I was asking because if there was trash below the clear in the base or seal coat I want to fix it now while the booth is up so I can fix the base coat and respray the panel with clear.

Thanks guys!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:02 am
A lot depends on what the contamination is and what colour you're painting. If it's just dust and the colour is dark then sanding and re-clearing will fix it. But, if the contamination is fibres and they're a lighter colour it may not. Same thing, but in reverse for light colours, especially white. A speck of dark colour will continue to show, even after sanding and re-clearing if it was below the original clear.

You have to analyse the reasons why you're getting nibs in your paint and do whatever you can to reduce, if not eliminate the risk.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint