Blending oxidized metallic paint with new spray paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 pm
I have a, '86 VW Vanagon with very dull finish. In a small area, I used rubbing compound and polish and it seems to shine up OK.

The paint is Bronze/Beige Metallic, so I have to blend in the new paint.

Should I get the whole panel shined up before I do the paint, clear coat, and clear coat blender which supposedly melts the paints together for a better blend?

It seems like more work, since I'd have to go back over it right away with Wax Remover & Degreaser anyway to clean it all off before painting. Please advise.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 pm
You should sand the whole panel with P800 spot in your basecoat and clear the whole panel. Assuming is clear coated from factory
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:48 am
Axalta/Dupont have recommended for many years that a panel be buffed before painting, whether you clear over the whole panel or blend your clear.

After buffing, not polishing, prepare the panel in the usual way, either sanding P800 in the base coat blend area, scuffing with grey Scotch or P1000-P1200 in the area you're going to clear. My preference to go a bit finer than Dave suggests above because I've seen scratching from P800 show through clear.

Even though it seems to be a negative step and extra work I've found that it really does make a difference - the paint just goes on better and colour matches are not a problem, especially if you're doing a clear coat blend. You're not fighting against the oxidised paint.

On the subject of clear coat blends I strongly recommend that these only be done if you are well experienced and always either low down on the vehicle or finishing on a narrow section. Never in the middle of a door/bonnet/boot. SMART repairs can be successful but only done by trained and experienced people - I've seen lots that aren't.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:04 am
Don't use duponts/axaltas wet bed method. It sucks

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:06 am
compounding the panel should be your first step, that's with rubbing compound not polishing compound. we're not trying to make it shinny just cleaning the oxidation off. have ether one of you guys used the DuPont's 222 system of blending clear, It seems to work very good I have had good results using it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:20 pm
badsix yes and also lots of equivalent products and it does work well. i believe for this guy just doing one spot repair that it would be costly do do wet bed methods and not being familiar with adhesion promoters that it could lead to other issues. i believe in this case that prepping with 800 blending his base then clearing the whole panel would benefit him better. he would have to clear the panel after the 222 anyway

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:17 pm
i'm with you 100%. I was just wondering if you had used it being it was brought up about blending clear, and yes its a little involved for a first timer. clearing the panel is better.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:05 pm
Thanks for the kind advice everyone.

Jason

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:16 pm
The sanding with 800 only works on clear coat.
If it is single stage you will need use Badsix method.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:07 am
badsix wrote:have ether one of you guys used the DuPont's 222 system of blending clear, It seems to work very good I have had good results using it.

Yes and I agree, it works well.

badsix wrote:being it was brought up about blending clear, and yes its a little involved for a first timer. clearing the panel is better.

Agree but I don't think that OP was suggesting use of a wet bed AP like 222S, rather that he was intending to do a spot repair and blend the clear in with AK350, or equivalent. I love the stuff, when you have to do a clear coat blend it's the duck's guts but I also agree with Dave that neither wet beds nor clear coat blends are ideal for a beginner.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint