Tamco paints and Clears????

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:17 pm
Wanted opinions on Tamco paint and Clears, epoxy, primer, ect. I was also hoping Chris could pipe in on this one for me. I'm curious to know where their factory for making all this stuff sits? I haven't been able to find a pic of the building or an exact location. Many have never heard of them. I wanted to try their stuff, but i guess I'm paranoid. Any advice? Any idea on a pic of their facility? I noticed for a while they were comparing their 2021 clear to PPG's 2021, but now Tammy is saying they are more like Glasurit, and better. Why isn't there much out on the net about them?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 pm
only thing i find on mapquest for them is a Farm Fresh place. https://www.mapquest.com/us/virginia/bu ... -272383529

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 pm
There are a few reviews on the Store Front.
Personally, every Tamco product I have tried exceeded my expectations. Their DTM build primer is excellent and a great deal as well.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:23 pm
I assume them you have personally used their clear(s), and have time test them to make sure they will hold up. How does Tamco compare to **********? What is the differences?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:18 pm
True, if you walk into any paint jobber they likely never heard of either ********** or Tamco.

I suggest you follow Tamco on social media for awhile -- you'll get a better sense about their products and you'll see how many people are doing really nice projects with them. You'll also quickly get a sense of how 'vibrant' their customer base is -- regular updates, recent posts, new members, etc. It tells you a lot.

https://www.instagram.com/tamcopaint/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1439331589638566/

Paint brands always amaze me as to the dedicated fan base they have - almost like sports teams. Comparisons are usually tough and can get opinionated very quickly. You end up relying on anecdotal evidence -- or even better give the products a try and see if you like them ;-)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:32 pm
PPG BASF Akzo Nobel etc etc
You pay for marketing.

They all claim to be the best but when you get involved deeper into things they all use the same resins. Some may change or tweak a few things but ultimately in the end you're paying for the name. There are a lot of good products. Mostly depend on what your needs are. Do you need a high solids clear with a lot of UV protection ? Can you use a medium solids clear for said job ? Maybe even a low solids air dry because it won't see weather or day light much ? That's the questions you need to ask yourself when buying a product. Not a name brand. Just my opinion
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 am
one thing you might also consider is customer service. I haven't used any Tamco products yet so I can't say anything about them. but I have used several ********** products and there customer service is over the top.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:31 pm
moparmusclecars wrote:I assume them you have personally used their clear(s), and have time test them to make sure they will hold up. How does Tamco compare to **********? What is the differences?

I have used the HC-4100 High Gloss clear on a complete (1985 Dodge Ram in projects section) and it sprayed out very much like the ********** Euro Clear I have used for years now. Can't really say as to longevity but that Truck hasn't come back and I guarantee my work against peeling or flaking due to application issues for 1 year.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:37 pm
badsix wrote:one thing you might also consider is customer service. I haven't used any Tamco products yet so I can't say anything about them. but I have used several ********** products and there customer service is over the top.
Jay D.

Jay,
I agree on **********'s customer service being second to none. I have the company owner's cell phone number and permission to call him anytime.

That being said, I haven't had a need to call Tamco so I cannot comment on their customer service.

Jim
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:35 am
I am more less asking about the longevity of Tamco's clears. I have personal experience using ********** clears for years, without issues. I have researched Tamco all over the web, but there is actually little out there. Tammy claims her clears are better than Glasurit, PPG 2020, or **********'s. I have sprayed all of the mentioned clears over the years, for years, and used the PPG 2020 and Glasurit Clears in a quality production shop setting. We were a certified PPG shop, before we switched over to Glasurit. I guess I was hoping to see some of the members be able to confirm the longevity of Tamco paint products, but mainly the clears. They also claim their clear has higher solids than everyone else's. I have seen a lot of hype posted, but no actual long term witnesses to provide proof of how it lasts. I am one that has to be convinced before I will start spraying paint products on a customer's car, or my own. I understand most clears out there will look great once applied, but my real concern is, how long do they really last? UV protection is another concern of mine. Rock chips or fading? All of these are things I look at when choosing a clear for use in my shop. I have been painting cars since 1982, and have gotten a good reputation over the years. I need to watch and pick carefully what I am using in my shop. I appreciate all the feedback. Another question is does Tamco actually have a manufacturing facility where all these products are made? I can't find anything by googling it. I am hoping they are not just RELABELING other companies paint products with a TAMCO label (for my sake, anyway).The reason i am asking so much about TAMCO is that I have been asked quite a bit to buy their products. I guess I am skeptical. I'll keep searching for what I am looking for.
Next

Return to Body and Paint