Shopping paint by code

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:36 pm
that was 7-8 years ago, maybe they have changed. I talked to some guy down their and asked if they may have put the wrong product in the can ( pint ) or the wrong label. the customer said it was to be lacquer the guy at ColorRite :realmad: wasn't fun to talk to. also another shop tried to make it work and couldn't. so someone gave him my name and said I was good with lacquer. I felt kind of stupid for not being able to do it right for him.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 pm
PainterDave wrote:thats strange i been using Colorite for over 10 years. spot on matches and never a problem...

I do not find it strange that a business made a mistake and did not take full responsibility. As a business owner, I've been down the road of other's irresponsibility , lack of professionalism and integrity many times.
No need to deal with ColorRite if a paint manufacturer has the formulas, one has a mixing bank or a competent jobber.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 am
sorry for your bad experience buddy,
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:35 pm
Thanks for the info guys. One more question. If I find a random color online that I want to paint, I would have no info on it ( name, code, anything ) how would I get that color into a can of paint.? Take my phone to the store and show it to them.? Is that even possible.?
Ie... if I wanted this color right here https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ue.svg.png and that's all the info I had

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:42 pm
its not very likely, you could have a jobber scan it but it will be the color they scan and quite possibly just close. you really need a paint manufacture name and code. don't go by what the name of the color is, one company might call there blue Bahama Blue and another company will have a Bahama Blue they may be way different.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:23 pm
Jobbers have color maps with thousands of colors and shades you could look through

Go to a store and dive in
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 pm
Ahhhhh perfect. Didn't know they had color books. Again thank you all sooo much. All my questions are answered for now :goodjob:

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:41 pm
Local Sherwin Williams has thousands and thousands of color chips and a "simulated sun" lamp. I have spent hours picking colors.

The other way to do it (if the color is OEM) is to figure out the make, model, year, and then look up the color on the web. Your paint guy can mix the color based on this info.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:12 pm
Swinging_nuts wrote:Ahhhhh perfect. Didn't know they had color books. Again thank you all sooo much. All my questions are answered for now :goodjob:

AHHHHHH happiness maybe! yep your local auto body jobber will have hundreds of colors for you to look at. it can be DuPont, PPG, Sherwin-Williams or what ever.
good luck Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint