Shopping paint by code

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:59 pm
Hello. I'm nick, and new to the forum. Ive already found a lot of great info on this forum. So thank you so much for that.
The question at hand is I have a customer looking to get his bike painted by code. I have searched but am unable to find where I can simply type in the paint code, and have the paint pop up for order. The sites that I've visited have only the option to select make model year...
Can somebody please tell me where I can order pains by code.?
Also it may be part of the issue, may not but I'm using mobile not a desktop.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:25 am
welcome, how about some more information like model of bike and color code. do you have a auto body supplier near you.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:13 am
Some have codes some do not.
Do you know the paint code ? If so what is it ?
Chances are you wont ever get a paint code.
If you are trying to put the bike back to stock color then website color rite is your best option. Some Honda and Yamaha will have paint codes. Harley Davidson is very strict about giving them out.

If you have a paint code visit a automotive paint store and they can make your paint.
Otherwise order off color rite.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:20 pm
I appolagize for the late response, I just got back from vacation
The paint code is ppg 62493 which is a Lamborghini orange. But it seems like there's be an easier way to simply type a code online and have a price on the screen.
I don't think the bike in question is important that's why I left it out. It's a mid 2000s ducatti. I'm nit trying to get the code off a bike that I like. The situation is that I was presented with a code and a bike. And asked to paint the bike that color. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
I did call and find a supplier and was given two different options as of paint... quality.? One was $150 for a whole quart kit base/reducer/clear/activator. The other was $650. Same colors. Same kit. Know what the price difference would be.?
I'll see if colorrite is what I'm looking for. Thanks guys

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:41 pm
The $150.00 kit is more than likely Shopline/Omni which is the PPG economy line. Which means the base isn't going to cover very well and it may or may not match that well if you were doing a spot repair as apposed painting an entire bike. The clear doesn't have good uv protection, which could cause the color to fade and the clear may start fading or peeling in a few years.

The more expensive one is more than like the DBC which is the Deltron basecoat. That is the premium line which has much better coverage. It also has a better color match for when you need to do spot repairs in the future. The clear has much better uv protection and will keep the color from fading and the it will keep it's gloss a lot longer than the cheaper one will.

One thing you can do if you trying not to go broke is you can buy the cheaper base and reducer for the color, but spend the money on the better clear so you at least have the protection and the color won't fade back on you as fast.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:00 pm
i misunderstood... i thought you was looking for the OEM code on the bike.

if youre looking for a PPG number you need to go to a PPG jobber

Valspar DeBeer LIC

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:17 pm
I buy all my bike paint through my PPG jobber and just shot a Ducati. Harley is never an issue when acquiring formulas unless the code is proprietary, but you can get it nonetheless. Matches are excellent. I do a lot of Goldwing trike conversions and all colors are available in PPG. Some bikes like a BMW R90S you may have trouble with. I was referred through a dealer to another one where the BMW restoration veteran spent time matching all the old codes. R90's are airbrushed and hand pinstriped from the factory. I bought paint from ColorRite once on a gamble, the match sucked and they are overpriced. They may be good for a hobbyist but not for a shop owner. They reimbursed me except for shipping. The proper way to do business with a product failure is 100% reimbursement. Never have an issue with any bike paints when using my PPG jobber. I've used RM and Glasso but the matches were not as good.
BMW R90S

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 am
FWIW, that color in a quart from Tamco's base system (which is a dead match for PPG DBC), is $175. Couple that with a quart kit of the HC2100 clear coat for $55. Quart of reducer is $16. I'd recommend "slow" speed activator/reducer; it'll look like glass.

So under $250 and free shipping. This stuff is not low-end other than on price.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:56 am
bad time with ColorRite also. customer bought lacquer, brought over can labeled lacquer but when we mixed lacquer thinner it just curdled. they would not refund or replace with the correct product. I would stay away. ( nice job on the tank )
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:29 pm
thats strange i been using Colorite for over 10 years. spot on matches and never a problem...

Valspar DeBeer LIC
Next

Return to Body and Paint