Trunk interior finish ... Zolatone?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:04 pm
I'll be needing to spray the interior (floor) of the trunk compartment on my 67 Camaro.

It seems I have seen these sprayed with a *Spatter Finish* product called Zolatone. As I recall, it's a durable moisture protectant type finish.

link:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Pai ... r=Assorted

What can you tell me about this product or even the idea of doing a trunk this way?

another link:
http://www.quest-ip.com/wp-content/uplo ... er-TDS.pdf

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:41 pm
I have used it before and it works great. Stuff dries to a hard and very durable surface.
This is the trunk of the 1965 Buick Special Convertible in the members projects section:
Trunk Floor - Zolatone.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:22 pm
I'm back to the trunk interior project.

I had a rather thick black ... seemed almost like fender undercoating on the trunk interior that I had to strip off.

With the more volatile solvents (lacquer thinner and the likes) not being long-lasting enough to dissolve the stuff, I went to paint thinner, which worked much much better to dissolve it.

Now with the black tar mess cleaned up here's my question. Would my less volatile solvent (paint thinner) have now contaminated the remaining patches of red primer still on the floor? Can I simply sand it real good, de-grease it and apply epoxy primer ... or have I gotten myself into a deeper situation than that?

It has been done and has had about 6 weeks of dry time by now ... if that helps any. :neutral:

This is a PIC from early on, but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:41 pm
I would scrub it with soap and water first. Rinse real well and dry it with some towels and then compressed air.
Scratch it up real good with some 80 grit to give the epoxy something to grab on to, blow off the dust with compressed air and/or vacuum real good and then shoot your epoxy primer.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:40 pm
What is the proper way to handle the hole & plate situation here?

In particular, when should the plate be set in place? Now or after I finish the trunk floor? I presume there is some type of sealer ... or are these (there are two) intended to be live drains of sorts?

Sorry for the blurry hole, I had a macro lens on the camera and depth of field was very short. :rolleyes:

Here is another more full view of where I'm at with this.

I also stripped, scraped and blasted the trunk seal gutter to eliminate signs of rust pitting in the gutter, then applied a liberal couple of coats of epoxy. I presume I will need to smooth in a layer of seam sealer (down in the bottom of this gutter) before I paint?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 pm
Sorry for repeating myself here, but I really am hoping for some guidance on this question.

The trunk of my 67 Camaro has *drain* holes (at least I presume that is their purpose) on each side of the floor. Then there are two fitted plates that cover these holes (plate is visible next to the hole on the left).

What is the correct way to put this together?

Should the plates be sealed in place or are they intended to be installed in such a way as to allow them to act as *live drains* for water that might enter the trunk to drain out?

If the latter is the case, then how should these plates be installed?

Any guidance appreciated.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 am
They weren't sealed when you took them out right?
Personally I install them and then spray the Zolatone. Whatever seal that provides will be plenty to keep dirt out and the chances of you removing them in the near future are slim.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:20 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:They weren't sealed when you took them out right?

This project started back in 2007 and the trunk floor was cleaned up and worked on then ... I have no specific memory of what was on these plates before I cleaned them up almost ten years ago :(

Your advice now confirms my thinking that there is no point in these holes existing if they are going to be sealed up tight.

I just hate to move forward with something assuming that I know what I'm doing when there might be more to it than I am aware of.

Thanks for chiming in. :)

Return to Body and Paint