Aerosol on white car. Primer is not masking. OK for base?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:57 pm
badsix wrote:You should be all right but your playing with shaker cans and lacquer. sometimes lacquer will cause lifting if applied over other than lacquer, lacquer over lacquer is usually ok. I would try several med wet coats, don't pour it on. you don't have to shoot the hole thing take your can and shoot several med passes on each spot allow good flash time. then come back and cover the hole thing,lightly sand then start your color. GOOD LUCK
Jay D.

Med wet coat? Do you mean medium primer coat?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:04 am
yep, just put med coats on until you get good hiding of the spots. one mid. coat flash for 5-10 then another the same way. the glazing putty you used was it 2 part.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 am
badsix wrote:yep, just put med coats on until you get good hiding of the spots. one mid. coat flash for 5-10 then another the same way. the glazing putty you used was it 2 part.
Jay D.

Thanks Jay.

I might sound newby, but waht does mid coat flash for 5-10 actually mean : base coat?

I am confused :knockout:

This is my first real car paint job so I am not familiar with the slang. Just to make myself clear if I was not, here was my order of play :

primer x 3-4
base coat x 2
mid coat x 2
clear coat x2-3

So to summarize, so far I did 4 coat of primer and one base coat. But I am talking about going back to primer for full coverage of the putty and plastic spots.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:34 am
Badsix likely meant medium coat instead of mid. Spray primer medium wet. Flash = the time between coats to allow solvents to evaporate. You want enough time to prevent runs, but short enough that the successive coats bind to the previous coats with minimal texture.

I would definitely want my repairs covered completely in primer before I would go to the next step.

Tricoats are tricky even for professionals to get to look good. Substandard materials/ refinish products will make it harder. Best of luck.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:39 am
Thanks a lot Kevin for claryfing!

My car shop suggest me a 1K primer filler to get better coverage. What do you think?

That's the product they sell :
http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=353&L=1

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:13 pm
Thanks Kevin, sorry for the confusion I abbreviated medium coat and I just wasn't thinking.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 pm
No prob Kevin ;

Is grey primer filler a good Idea?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:42 pm
If you're currently struggling with coverage issues and have no plans for a white sealer, I wouldn't recommend it.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:19 pm
Kevin Campbell wrote:If you're currently struggling with coverage issues and have no plans for a white sealer, I wouldn't recommend it.

Sealer is mandatory after self etch filler?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:39 pm
Not mandatory, but if you are already having difficulty covering a white(ish) primer, albeit with the underlying repairs showing through, covering a grey primer is going to be more difficult. A white sealer between your primer and white basecoat will help with covering the grey primer.

BTW, the etch part is meant for metal, not plastic, and we haven't address potential issues with chipping or flexibility of aerosol painting on high impact areas like your bumper (i.e. Stone chips).
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint