Gun Cleaning Between Coats

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:43 pm
im a newb myself i have been doing my first complete car project slowly with all the panels seperate.

its amazing to me how stressfull the paint mixing process works and needing to have your project ready and not have things in your way to trip on, etc.

as soon as things go bad i have found myself spraying mixes that were going down bad just because i wanted to get to the next step on not waste material. im basically scared of everything.

you will learn how different materials act. the high build primers i have used are brutal and i literally will mix a full cup to spray and quick and then i have to immediately spray gun cleaner through the gun and then break it down and clean even more or it can be game over for your gun. i used cheap harbor freight guns to start and threw away more than one.

you could see these primers sticking to the end of the gun so i would wipe down the outside with thinner when done with a coat if possible.

i used eastwoods epoxy which is thinner than a high build and mine had no induction time. i never had a problem with following their directions with one batch mixed and following their long wait times between coats. guns didn't gum up.

i practiced with the stuff on a throw away piece first and got into a good feel for it rather quickly. the stuff would run if you held the gun but if i kept it moving had no problems and even with those crappy cheap guns with a 1.4-1.5 tip it always ended up drying orange peel free for me!
Previous

Return to Body and Paint