Question about touching up areas in older primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:17 pm
Okay, first thing, I'm definitely new to the whole body and paint thing...so be gentle...: I am doing a restro-mod on my 1950 Ford Custom (Shoebox). It had a pretty good primer coat on it when I got it but in the past year or so, I've noticed a couple spots where the primer has chipped and flaked. I've spent most of my time (90+ hours) on redoing the interior sheet metal, floor pan, fire wall, and trunk pan and now moving to the outside. So, a couple of questions...since the majority of the current primer is in really good condition, would it be frowned upon to just rework the blemishes or should I consider taking the entire exterior down to bare metal and re-shooting the primer (not something I relish doing)? I'm not looking for a concours finished product, just a fun cruiser. My plan had been to clean up the blemished areas and do the high build/flll primer routine to get those areas back up to par with the rest of the body, (plan on doing a guide coat just to make sure) and then go over the entire exterior with 2000 grit to clean up the rest of the body, do a good wash and contamination removal; ( I was told by a local paint and body guy that isopropyl alcohol would be a good solution for a wipe down) then shoot urethane base and then clear coat. That is my plan, but any words of warning or advice would be greatly appreciated...seems like the folks on this site have a whole lot more experience than I do and I can only make a trip to the local body shop for advice so many times before they want me to just bring it to them...thanks in advance.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:21 pm
well when you said chipped and flaked. then not knowing what the primer is, could be an old enamel primer that base coat might not like. plus not knowing what's under the primer. I would strip it to bare metal its not that hard. do you have a good air supply? if you do get a 8" air sander, I think horrible freight has them. put an 8" foam pad on, the pad is about 3/4 -1 in thick and they are for sticky discs. if the car has only primer on it then 80 grit will probably work, if not go a little heavier. get some real auto body wax and grease remover any brand, we all know it works. do your blocking on your primer with 180 your final sanding can be 600-800 before base coat, 2000 way to fine.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:02 pm
Thanks...appreciate the advice...

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:41 pm
Spend some time reading on this site. There is a ton of info for beginners.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:18 am
Yes strip to bare metal or to body filler and rework. you put a lot of time and work in this car so why take a chance to have it come back to bite you later

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:22 am
Thanks for the feedback...I decided to follow the advice and will strip it all back to bare metal and do it right, ( I keep hearing my dad's voice in my head saying, if you're gonna it, do it right)...thanks again and I'm sure as this project goes forward I'll have tons more to ask...

Return to Body and Paint