How to blend new panel with 17yr old factory finish?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:30 am
Alright, the side skirt pieces of my car have faded. The rest of the paint is in great shape, and will really come back to life with some paint correction. It is a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The factory color is a single stage red.

My question is, what is the best way to blend these pieces with the door/rear quarter?

Should I just buy some factory color code single stage and hope for the best?

Or should I do base/clear, and scuff the adjacent panels (door, rear quarter, etc) and attempt my first blend? I assume I would just mist some red basecoat onto the bottom of the adjacent panels, and then clear everything, correct?

Also, I have extensive detailing and paint correction knowledge and experience, so sanding and buffing the factory finish isn't a problem if that will help.

I've attached a picture of the pieces I'm talking about. This isn't my specific car, but you can see the faded trim pieces below the door are faded. Thanks guys!
Attachments
1999-mitsubishi-eclipse-gsx-6.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:43 pm
are you sure its S.S., has the car been painted before ? here is a couple possibility's may not be right but possibility's. if it is S.S. go to a real auto body jobber an see if they can match the body color in B.C. or S.S. what ever is easy for them if you can take something off that you have detailed and let them work with it. when you get the paint test it on something to check the color. if its off take it back, if they are a good jobber and most are they can adjust it to better match. we are talking. if they get it close enough for you then paint the skirts and drive. the other is do the same with BC and blend to all the other panels and clear. should be no problem base and clearing the old finish. I would defiantly test a spot with the base and clear before shooting the complete car especially if you don't know what's on it .
I would try the first suggestion you should be able to get a real close match even if its BC.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:20 am
I'm pretty darn confident that it is single stage. I've done some buffing on the car before, and my pads turned red pretty quickly.

I think the front bumper has been resprayed, because I see some overspray behind it. But other than that, I believe it is the factory paint job.

Also, the pieces I need to paint are some sort of gray plastic type material. Some of the paint that is on there now is peeling off due to rock chips and a pressure washer, so I need to know what sort of primer or adhesion promoter I should use. Thanks!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:01 pm
if its a hard rigid plastic you can treat it like you would any fiberglass or metal just sand prime or seal and top coat. primer can be epoxy, hi build or just a sealer coat and color. if you prime and paint sand the plastic with something heavy like 220 then finish your primer with 600. if you go with just a sealer 400 or 600 is what you want
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:20 pm
Any bare plastic HAS to have a adhesion promoter first.
I use one called "Bulldog", you can by it at the paint store
and it sprays full strength, it also comes in spray cans.
After that, Epoxy primer is the best choice, it'll lessen the chipping.

For a paint match, take your color I.D. number to the paint store and
look at a brand that has sample chips for alternates, most all colors have
alternates for a given color. Match the samples to your car for a closer match.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint