Paint Compatibility for Single Stage Touch Up Paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Hi everyone,

Not an auto body guy here, but I’m seeking some advice from those who are experienced.

I have an 84 VW Rabbit GTI that has single stage paint, and I’m not entirely sure what kind it is from the factory, although I may be able to find out.

I need to do some rock chip touch up, and I also want to carefully mask off the door sills on the car as they have been pretty scuffed up and are showing surface rust and paint them.

So my questions are mostly to do with paint compatibility.

Is it going to be an issue at all if the original paint and what is readily available now are not the same type of paint?

For example, what if my car was painted with Single Stage Acrylic Enamel and the only kind of touch up I can find (I’m probably ordering from paintscratch.com) is Single Stage Urethane Enamel? Any chance it won’t adhere or could peel, or is this not nearly as a drastic of a difference as Latex House Paint over Enamel for example?

And the other question is what kind of primer should I use when I prep my door sills? Keep in mind I’ll be using a spray can so I can’t shoot it from a gun like a shop would be using. Any recommendations on that would be great.

And Finally an unrelated bonus question. Can you guys recommend any Wax and Grease Remover that will NOT harm paint?

When I’ve been painting chassis parts I’ve been doing multiple coats and trying to sand in between and I can’t find an off the shelf W&G Remover in your typical auto parts stores that won’t dissolve paint. All of them seem to be for bare metal. I found one at an paint supply place years ago that worked great, but I’ve since run out.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:03 am
I've never seen wax and grease remover harm paint, and I've used
a bunch of them. That's really weird.

If your car is original factory paint you should be able to put anything
over it without a problem. If you do have any problems, epoxy primer
is the best for sealing and eliminating problems.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:42 pm
Hopefully by "spray can" you mean the pre-mixed 2k from your local jobber.
And like JC says, automotive Wax and Grease remover should never harm your automotive paint.
Unprotected base or 1k spay can paint may be a different story.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:43 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Hopefully by "spray can" you mean the pre-mixed 2k from your local jobber.
And like JC says, automotive Wax and Grease remover should never harm your automotive paint.
Unprotected base or 1k spay can paint may be a different story.

It might have just been an issue with the 1K Rustoleum spray paint that didn't have any clear. I was trying to sand between coats. Maybe with a proper clear coat I would have a different result. I was definitely removing paint with the Duplicolor W&G and a brand that NAPA carried.

Return to Body and Paint