Lazy and stuffed up

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:24 pm
Guys and gals,

Spraying 2k topcoat.

I was lazy, but thought it would be okay, now I am trying to work out why it didnt work.

So Primered a panel yesterday in 2k, and this morning scuffed the inside of the panel with 3m scotchbrite as its an internal side.

I did not wax and grease it down, as I thought, having been primed yesterday and scuffed today with gloved handsm, it really was unnecassary.

Well I painted th panels after wiping with a clean rag and air blowing, and I have small holes over the panel where I can still see the primer and the top coat did not adhere, typical of a dirty surface,

Why possibly did it not stick all over the panel, if no oils or greases came into contact with the primer..

Steve

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:12 am
PICTURES
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:22 pm
I am thinking its some form of contamination. Either on the job (i did not wax and grease even though I sanded with gloves on after priming) or in my paint mix.

Steve
Attachments
bi 2.JPG
bi 1.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:32 pm
usually fish eye will leave craters down to were the contamination is. solvent pop is solvent bubbles that come to the surface but can't get out because the outer surface has flash dried. paint film to thick and or to fast of reducer. one thing that I see is it looks like your film thickness is way thick and can cause the solvent pop.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:50 pm
Yep, on first coat, I had little craters everywhere, could see the primer coat still at base of craters

Since it was an inside panel anyway (you cannot see it), I decided stuff it and kept applying coats over the area.

It was a primed and painted panel already, I simply scuffed and primed again.

Was lazy and did not wax grease the panel, but I did not think the 3m scotchbrite would leave a contaminant after being dusted down.

I was also thinking, fish eyes, can they be caused by contaminated paint ??

Steve

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:22 am
Multiple problems and possible causes.

1. If when spraying the first coat the paint fish eyed, then your panel was contaminated. This could be from airborne chemicals floating in from somewhere else in the shop or even touching the panel with bare hands. You should have stopped right then and made sure the panel was clean before continuing.

2. The Scotchbrite you used did not leaving enough scratch for the primer to properly adhere to.

3. There was dust remaining in the small pits in the surface preventing adhesion. (this looks like it may be your problem because of all the dust contamination I see in your paint next to the fish eye type craters)

4. Your air supply if not properly installed and filtered could have contaminants in it.

5. Lastly, laying heavy coats of paint is NEVER a good idea.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:58 am
^^^ this, I couldn't have said it better. you really need to start from the metal and do it over. being lazy in this business will almost always get you in trouble!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:09 pm
Yep, super frustrating.

But I was just lazy in not degreasing the panel, I had scuffed the whole panel up with maroon scotchbrite, and thought, no need to degrease as I have not touched the panel with my hands (gloves on).

I did have anothe rthought on what the conta,mination could have been.

My son had been spraying nitro cellulose lacquer earlier, painting a guitar.

I remember picking up an empty syringe on the workbench and using it to draw up the hardener out of the can, my son mentioned he used that syringe to draw the nitro thinners for his guitar paint, so there was some nitro thinners possibly in my mix.

We use syringes to draw up small amounts of paint and thinners for guitar painting, most touchups on guitars are less than 30mls of mixed paint.

Steve

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:46 pm
I wouldn't think the nitro lacquer thinner would cause a problem. but I haven't been around nitro lacquer for a long time. fish eyes can be caused by a lot of things, you just have to investigate everything you did on that session. check everything that touches your paint. check out every step from clean metal , flash off of wax and grease remover to your air supply. mixing cups, air born contaminates like spray waxes and oils are not allowed in the prep room or even close. my boy was oiling his bicycle chain with wd40 in the shop next to the paint room and the door was open. 60 ft. away and fish eyes all down one side and on the hood closest to the door.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:06 pm
Cool,

Thanks, that was the first time my paint work ever really went bad, and there were multiple reasons why it could have gone wrong.

For future reference, dont be lazy do the process right

Steve

Return to Body and Paint