I NEED HELP: Car door job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Albania
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:02 am
Hello,

I'm a newbie. I'd like to try to repaint a car door and my answer is what should I do about the handle? Do body shops usually re-paint the handles too or don't? I'm worried about color matching: as we use color blending for adjacent panels, should I be worried about that mismatch in color?

Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:17 pm
it would be best for everyone if you could post a couple of good pictures.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

Albania
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 am
Ok, i can do that, but since I have not started yet they would be photos of a normal dark grey mica car. I just Want to know how to proceed in order to do no mistakes. What is the standard procedure for car With matching handles when a door is repainted?

Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:22 am
Without pictures of the door and the area that needs repair we are just guessing at what you are trying to do.

Why are you repainting the door? Is it scratched, dented, peeling, faded, ugly?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Albania
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:41 am
Hello,

front passenger door was scraped by a rough object. Scratches are pretty wide so I have to repaint all the panel. I found a lot of tutorial about how to repair it so I'm pretty confident to what to do with the door: remove all items such as handles, etc... sand it together with adjacent panels, put primer, level it off, paint all the door, blend the paint on the adjacent panels, clear coat over all the three panels. But i cannot find any notion about what to do with handles when they are matching car color. Even if you achieve a perfect color it won't be the same as the original one (that's why we blend the paint). I noticed also that the handles don't match perfectly the original color, they're slightly different (but you have to take a good look to notice it). So my worry is: it is better to repaint the handle to match exactly the new color or that would be worse as it will be different from the rear handle? If I don't repaint the handle will it be noticeable? Also the handle is plastic so it could be hard to paint it? and the resulting color will be exactly as when applied on the door?

Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:15 am
I would like to look at the door handle area. if i'm doing a repair on a door I usually remove the handle assembly. most have a seal that is visible so I like to remove it so it gets no paint. I sometimes will reinstall the handle with out the seal and paint it with the door, then no worries about color problems. it just depends on what you have.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:38 pm
This doesn't really answer your question, but recently I replaced the driver's door handle on my son's 2007 Mazda3 because the old handle broke. The new handle came pre-painted from the manufacturer. I doubt very much that the handle paint and the door paint are a perfect match, but neither I nor anybody else would ever notice, or much less care.

Return to Body and Paint