Factory chameleon re-spray

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:43 pm
Recently purchased a vehicle that i plan to repaint, the paint code came back as Blue-Green Chameleon. I didn't realize it was chameleon because the clear is gone and paint is in bad shape.

How much harder is it to respray this color vs a solid color/metallic? I've sprayed paint, but never painted an entire car. Should I attempt this or go with a solid color? I know nothing about chameleon paint.

This is an example of the color. It's not an over the top chameleon, very subtle.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:11 pm
From what I have seen online, it looks like a color base coat is sprayed and then the chameleon pearl or something similar is sprayed over it then clear.
I may be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Not much different than BC/CC, just more material.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:09 pm
This color is actually just a standard Bc/cc with a special mixing tint (908j in Axalta). It might be slightly less hiding than other base coats, but spray it over a sealer coat, perhaps black, and it should be no different than any other refinish (except the paint cost, expect that to be higher).

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:24 pm
Kevin Campbell wrote:This color is actually just a standard Bc/cc with a special mixing tint (908j in Axalta). It might be slightly less hiding than other base coats, but spray it over a sealer coat, perhaps black, and it should be no different than any other refinish (except the paint cost, expect that to be higher).

I'm assuming the tint will be mixed in at the paint store, correct? Which will mean higher cost for base, but spraying should be similar to a pearl I would think.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:51 am
Yep, should be pretty standard.

Return to Body and Paint