Seam Sealer guidance.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:07 pm
I searched for information on seam sealer and have not found any instructional information on technique for applying sealer.

This is the tail panel on my 67 Camaro, it's all welded in and just about ready for the next step. After I got it welded in I sand blasted the surfaces and brushed on some epoxy. I plan to sand it off a bit more then spray on a nice even coat of epoxy before I seam seal.

Obviously there are a few different types of joints here to deal with. I have the butt joints between the tail panel and the quarter panel, then up on the flange I have a lap joint and there is also the gutter around the trunk

This is sealer I picked up at my supplier. I don't know that it is the best for what I am doing here and I'll purchase something different if there is a better option out there for this.

What I am hoping for is someone or several folks to chime in with a bit of a tutorial on how to best apply seam sealer and maybe some guidance regarding specific *do's and don'ts*.

Maybe even some example PICs of what a good job looks like :worthy:

All input appreciated!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 am
I strongly recommend the 2-part seam sealers.
But they do take a special caulking gun to dispense 2
tubes at a time through a single mixing nozzle.
They also come in "self leveling" which is great for
horizontal surfaces. they smooth out real nice.
You may want to practice first on something not so important.
But you'll find it pretty easy to work with.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:47 am
Thanks JCCLARK,

I see on YouTube some videos where they tape off the area to be sealed. Clearly, my big concern is the (always visible) butt joint between the panel and quarter.

I am aware of the two part sealers and can easily follow the advice there, but I am very concerned with getting good advice & tips on application technique.

I'd hate to have the best sealer on Earth, then screw the job up by making some silly, easily avoidable mistake in how I go about the application. :knockout:

Any tips on application appreciated.

here are my thoughts ...
I assume I would want to push as much sealer into the butt gap between the (tail & quarter) panels as possible. I realize that joint is not to be sealed on down below the bumper. I assume I would tape off that joint (fairly tight to the joint) to keep the visible width of the sealer application narrow down that visible line.

Once the sealer is set up do I treat the seam area as normal, spray with 2K for final paint prep? Basically just moving forward with paint prep like it wasn't there?

The trunk seal gutter, shouldn't be much of a problem, just get a nice bead on the seam in the bottom and then spread it flat insuring complete coverage of the seamed areas.

It seems the flat (lap joint) on the flange can be taped off and seam sealed to a smooth finish and be fine since it won't be visible with the deck lid down.

Am I on the right track here with most of this?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:14 pm
use the tape, first you'll need to determine how far out of the seam you want the sealer to come then use some fine line tape and tape it off. then put some 1/2 or 3/4 out from the fine line. you can now squeegee the sealer how ever you want it, flat, concave or a bead look. I like the 2 part stuff so when you pull the tape you can lightly sand the edge left from the tape. its a simple operation when you do it a few times. and sure just treat it as any other part of the car.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:24 pm
Thanks badsix.

I have never done seam sealer before so I am probably more apprehensive than I need to be.

But at 59 years of age I have had plenty of experience doing things I figure should be simple only to discover (after the fact) some aspect that experienced people take for granted but I never thought of before I started ... leaving myself in an un-necessary pickle.

Return to Body and Paint