Can I apply epoxy primer over good quality OEM paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 pm
I have been stripping my car on the exterior where the paint and damage is the worst. I'm also stripping the door jams. The inside of the doors are pretty nice the clear isnt pealing and no scratches and no one would even see it so i havent stripped. I honestly just want to leave the inside of the doors painted but I want to paint over them.

Is it possibly to scuff the OEM paint and spray epoxy primer or some other type of primer over the scuffed paint with good results?

Im planning to spray the car with epoxy and then co from there so after im done stripping I plan to scuff the painted areas and spray them too. If epoxy wont work well over scuffed oem paint what type of primer will?

I'll upload a picture shortly.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Here is the passenger door. Stripped on outside and fine on the inside. I used paint stripper to strip the paint off of the outside. Plus a lot of razor blades in a vise grip.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm
Similar question: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25818

I've replaced almost all use of epoxy with the Tamco 5310 primer I sell here:

https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint ... rimer-kit/

If you have decided you want to do body filler over your primer, then yes epoxy is the correct choice, but keep in mind epoxy is more expensive and can be less user friendly to apply for a new painter. I do my filler work over bare metal.

Some cheap brands of epoxy seem to have issues with cratering and staying soft for days or even weeks. Tamco also sells a great epoxy but to be honest I rarely use it since the 5310 primer is so good and less than half the price.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:20 pm
So the primer you use can go over the blue paint you see in the photo? If so do you have any recommendations for how to prep the paint before applying the primer?

edit. It's a 2k primer that can go over the bare aluminum but can it go from aluminum to paint that is the question I really have.

I checked the prices from eastwood and this site and the prices are almost the same this site is cheaper.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:34 pm
my spray gun only goes up to 1.5 mil tip so I would have to reduce it and according to the description it states that you can reduce it and use it as a sealer. It also says that you can brush it on.

Since I dont have many place to use the body filler it shouldn't be a big deal. There are only some small dings. I'll just fill them and use this primer to seal it up. I really like the idea of applying the body filler directly to the metal since that is the reason I started stripping in the first place.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:18 pm
You don't need to reduce it much to get it to work well with a 1.5 tip, approx 20% of reducer added in your paint cup (mixed well) will do it.

Prep is simple, clean as normal and sand with p80 to p320 (that range, but bare metal stay on the p80 end).

And yes, we use it over painted surfaces all the time - including the new commercial steel door I just put in the back of my workshop.

Return to Body and Paint