need some primer help guys...thanks

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:16 pm
hey everyone, so ive never painted a car before...lol
but i have a 66 mustang i took to bare metal...did two coats of epoxy primer to seal the metal, scuffed it and did bodywork and a layer of epoxy to seal that. scuffed it and shot eastwood 2k urethane primer over all that...so......ive blocked it all down a few times and still see some very minor imperfections. not enough for filler but still, ive spent too much time to let it slide. so i got some feather fill G2.. now as i block, my low spots are still kinda untouched but ive gone to slight bare metal (less than a quarter) in some places. can i spray the featherfill G2 over 2k urethane primer? i know this must be the stupidest question ever but i need something high build....
Attachments
IMG_9811.JPG

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:21 pm
If you sanded to bare metal, those spots need to have epoxy applied again. Also, if you see imperfections and low spots, you'll want to apply more filler or polyester primer and then guide coat it and block. Keep doing this until it is as good as you can possibly get it. This is where the work part of body work comes from. The paint part is the reward. Its not fun but if you see low spots or anything imperfections now, they'll be magnified when painted.

Hope this helps ~ Lenny B

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:01 am
Yes thank you bro. So i hear its not good to top coat over featherfill g2 but numerous other people say its all good....?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:55 am
Spraying directly over featherfill will cause shrinkage. It's basically spray body filler. It needs to be sealed down for a proper finish.

Return to Body and Paint