Rookie Question on applying bases coat and clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:21 pm
Hello Everyone,

When applying the base and clear coats, and primer for that matter, should I wipe the car car down with a tack cloth in-between each coat after the flash time, or should I just shoot the next coat providing I see no trash or runs?

Thanks for your input ~ Lenny B

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:22 pm
Lenny B wrote:Hello Everyone,

When applying the base and clear coats, and primer for that matter, should I wipe the car car down with a tack cloth in-between each coat after the flash time, or should I just shoot the next coat providing I see no trash or runs?

Definitely tac cloth in between each coat, make sure you wait til it totally has flashed or you will have an incredibly bad time. The less dust the better.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:46 pm
Warning: be sure to use quality tack cloths. The cheap things they sell in auto parts stores and such can leave a residue.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:49 pm
Capecreations21 wrote:
Lenny B wrote:Hello Everyone,

Definitely tac cloth in between each coat, make sure you wait til it totally has flashed or you will have an incredibly bad time. The less dust the better.

BE SURE YOU DO THIS ^^^ you won't be smiling when your tack rag snags a soft spot were the paint is heavy and still soft. trust me I've done it few times
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:36 am
Thanks everyone for your help.

Return to Body and Paint