Clean-up after chemical strip?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:56 pm
I have used a chemical stripper on the door jambs of the 67 Camaro.

What would be the necessary steps to insure I'm good to lay down epoxy?

This area won't require any body work other than redoing the seam sealer along a couple of panel joints.. I'll mask things off so I can thoroughly sand blast those seams.

I just have some concern regarding how to get the bare metal that was exposed to the chemical stripper completely cleared of the stripper before I apply epoxy primer to the bare metal.

Any advice appreciated.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 pm
Reapply a thin coat of stripper and then immediately wash it off with a red Scothbrite pad and soapy water before it dries. Rinse thoroughly with clean water and then blow dry with an air hose paying attention to seams and other areas where moisture might be trapped.
Wearing gloves spray some W&G remover on the panel and wipe it off before it dries. Let flash for 30 minutes (less on hot days) and shoot your epoxy.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:37 am
Thanks for the guidance on this.

I am learning a lot of this stuff as I go and ask these somewhat silly questions ...I don't want to make a bunch of stupid, easily avoidable mistakes.

I have enough problems as it is while trying hard to do the very best I can. :whoops:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:35 pm
holy cow im still not done with my first project. when i first started i thought it was a scuff and shoot but down low on 79 rabbit and paint, etc. was delaminating when poked.

not knowing any better i tried to da with 80 grit and got nowhere so looked into stripper not even thinking about how it burns and you don't want to get it on other parts. i will never use it on the chasis again because i made a huge mess, then had to wash it and all that water, etc. dripped down in all the cracks, etc. i got so fed up i had to end up using a pressure washer and flooded the garage and rinsed everything out, everything inside and out was soaked, i have my car in the air stripped of all panels :(

then i had to do the same thing with air and wiping down. so i had flash rust in areas but needed to da 80 grit the metal anyway before epoxy so it wasn't too bad. but i have hard to reach areas so it was annoying and had to get a blaster out for seams, etc.

i followed directions for stripper i can get in california and it was wierd. i did what the can said and also put plastic wrap on certain sessions and it was very interesting but some sections came off in complete clean peels. other areas it just left specs all over the place despite multiple tries.

blasting brings up another issue. i did experiment and find a nice media that would take the pits and paint off without cutting much into the metal but the crap got everywhere. it still lives in the car chasis which has been inside for over a year now :(

Return to Body and Paint