sem trim black ???

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:46 pm
I am looking to spray my dash with the sem trim black paint. this is the file with the important info

https://www.semproducts.com/manage/html ... _black.pdf

I am pretty new to painting. I have laid down some epoxy primer on an engine bay and a bunch of smaller pieces so far. My question about the sem trim black is that it says no primer is required. Can I just sand down my dash and spray it? will that seal the metal for any rust that might show up later? Would I be better off putting two coats of the epoxy primer on it first and then spraying the trim black? just trying to avoid doing any unneeded work.

If I actually do need to put the epoxy on first can I spray my two coats of epoxy, giving enough time to flash inbetween coats and then just go right into the trim black or do I need to wait a day for the paint to start to cure?

The primer i am using is ********** epoxy black.

thanks,
adam

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:26 pm
i'm not to familiar with the trim black, but I have used several other SEMS products and they are all top quality. if the old finish is good then you'll probably be ok to sand the dash finish and apply the trim black. I would test a spot to see how it reacts with the old dash paint. if you have the time and product I would shoot the epoxy. this will give you better protection plus you will be able sand it smooth. any dust that gets on the epoxy or metal is going to show up big time with the trim black. you can also use the epoxy as a sealer. before you start be sure to wipe with wax and grease remover several times.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:59 pm
If you have bare metal showing its best to seal with an epoxy and then you can lay down the trim black. I just sprayed some out of an aerosol can, skeptical at first while spraying it but it ended up flowing out great.
Attachments
Final 2 - small.JPG

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:07 pm
Most of those trim blacks have an aggressive solvent in them to adhere well to trim items.

It's been my experience that they will swell sand scratches and lift paint edges. Best to epoxy and 2k prime. No spray can stuff underneath, then coat with spray can (1K)

You may have luck with super light coats until covered, but it may introduce grain and opportunity for contamination (trash) in the paint. Dry spray also often has adhesion issues later on too.

Return to Body and Paint