Epoxy Primer after sanding and media blasting questions.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:08 am
Good Day,
Well time to resurrect the Falcon, I am Looking at repairing the old car, cancer, rust, dings, and pits have took their toll on her. Plans are to media blast, sand, replace panels. Question is about Epoxy primers, Is there one brand that you would recommend over the other to go over bare metal? My Ideas are as followed, Strip what ever paint is on the car. Apply Epoxy primer, body filler where needed, Epoxy again. Apply an High build primer, block sand with guide coat, fix any imperfections. Epoxy one final time before base coat/clear goes on. Does this sound good so far or would you recommend another avenue i should go?
Thank you for your help
Ron
Attachments
20161118_150215.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:04 am
For Restoration work I firmly believe epoxy is the best primer to cover freshly blasted metal.
There are lots of brand name epoxy primers that will do the job. Cost will usually play a large role in choosing which one to use.
I switched from PPG epoxy a number of years ago because of the high price and now use ********** (**********, Inc). ********** is what I still use today but I would not hesitate to use any product with good quality ratings like the Tamco products sold on the Store Front page of this site.

I generally shoot 2 coats of epoxy on bare metal, inside and out. After 24 hours take a sanding block with coarse paper and very lightly sand the panels. This will dull the surface and allow low spots to appear being shiny.

Once filler work is done, you only need to cover the filler areas with more epoxy. This will seal the filler and encapsulate it between layers of epoxy. Then go with your 2k build primer. I use Tamco DTM primer almost exclusively now as it builds and sands fantastic.

I am sure others may do things differently but this is the way I handle restoration work.

Good luck with your project. I would encourage you to start a thread in the Members Projects section so others can follow your progress.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint