Tips for painting a Porsche 944

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 pm
Hi all, I am working on a 1984 944 LS3 swap. The car is in decent shape overall, but it had been repainted at some point. And the paint job was less than steller, it had lots of fisheye and a few large runs. So I am in the process of repainting this winter/spring and looking for some pointers. One thing to note, on these Porsches, the body is all galvanized, so I want to avoid breaking through that coating as much as possible.
Here is my plan:
1) Block sand current paint job with 80 grit (but avoid sanding to bare metal to retain the galvanized coating)

2) Find all dings and dents, sand these and use Evercoat Quantum 1 to fill in any that need it. On the nastier dings that are sanded down to bare metal, I plan to epoxy primer (Summit racing or Kirkland Epoxy Primer) first over these areas

3) Spray the whole car with Evercoat SlickSand.

4) Block Sand with 180-220-320

5) Epoxy Primer whole car

6) Block sand – 400

7) Take to paint shop to spray color/clear or a single stage depending on pricing

Basically, I am shooting for a budget paint job that will have decent results. I have all winter and spring to put in the elbow grease necessary I think.
The main spot of confusion I have is with the epoxy primer step before filler work on the nasty dents. Do you guys think just epoxy primer over these spots is good? I don’t think I would need it before Slicksand on the rest of the car.

Any other tips for paint? I have all the trim, weather stripping, bumpers, etc removed. I do not plan on painting door jams or underhood as those were not painted before and I want to attempt to match the Guards Red somewhat.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:15 pm
Sounds like a good project, the only bad thing I see is the slick sand and its not bad I just don't like using. it maybe better now but I've see a lot of failures. I would do a couple coats of epoxy then do any filler work needed then spot spray your filler areas with epoxy then use a good 2k primer. or you can do a complete recoat with the epoxy then start blocking. the epoxy really sand quite easily. when you spot spray your filler areas only, then you can block them flat first then recoat the complete car.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:49 pm
Maybe Slick Sand has changed. I've heard a lot of good things about it recently at least. Thanks for the advice!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:10 pm
how far along are you in the project now?

Return to Body and Paint