Help with Color Match

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:43 pm
Here is two pics just to show how different the color can look in the shade and in the sun, well that is probably not news to anyone on here :) But anyway!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_44b9.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2026.jpg

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:57 am
We took out some of the green and I had them mix me up a little touch up bottle. See the pictures. It's getting closer. The code on the sample is from the first try. Using their spectrophotometer on my car, this is the closest match they had in their database. So we are trying to get a closer match from that "Tropic Green" recipe and this was the result after taking out a small amount of the green.

First pic, original "Tropic Green" recipe - To dark and not enough yellow
IMG_6241.JPG

Second attempt, took out some of the green - It's getting closer right?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4686.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4685.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4683.jpg

Now this is the only shop I know of close by that can mix paint for me, so I'm gonna have to run back and forth to them until it's a decent match. Since I dont really know anything about this either I'd like to get some pointers as to how I can communicate with them? Earlier in this thread I got the advice to go back and have them take out some of the green, and to not stray away to much from the original recipe that we started from. I did that, and it's closer. What to do next? Ad some or remove some color? Sorry for my ignorance!

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:58 pm
Anyone?

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:15 pm
I am no expert like the members of this site, but your last color samples look really good to me. Have you tried taking the photos you are posting on here to the paint store and letting them see them too? It might help with fine tuning your match.

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:02 pm
David Edwards wrote:I am no expert like the members of this site, but your last color samples look really good to me. Have you tried taking the photos you are posting on here to the paint store and letting them see them too? It might help with fine tuning your match.

Yes. I bring the photos and a also a part painted in the cars color as a reference.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:27 pm
It's also very difficult to judge colors on a computer monitor. Personally I take the jobber's color chips outside in the daylight to look at them.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 pm
base coat is not going to give true color until it gets clear coated. you can take your base coat samples and rattle can them with clear or even water over the base will give you a more true color.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:56 am
Brushing the paint as you are is not going to fly. Do sprayouts and clear them. Compare in the sun.

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:27 am
Thank you all for the input. I will spray, clear and post the results. I'll try and get the car out, but it's completely grey/dark here in Sweden every day now. I'd have to be very lucky to get a photo in the sun.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:24 pm
Sun is for your comparison only. Photos and screens cannot be relied upon for accuracy. Borrow a Sungun.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint