Help with Color Match

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:47 am
Hello. This is my first post as I just found this forum through a google search. I have a 1970 Plymouth Duster that has been repainted by a previous owner. I'm a beginner when it comes to sheetmetal work and painting, but I want to give it a go. I have made some spot repairs that had rust issues and now need to find a close match color. I went to a shop who used a color spectrometer. The closest match they had in their computer was this (see picture). It's a mopar color. They mix PPG paint at the shop by the way. I dont really know if the paint on my car is an original mopar color that has faded over the years, or if it is a custom color. To me the paint on my car looks a bit more yellow and possible a lighter green, but like I said, I really dont have any knowledge on this.

Anyway, how would I go about to get a bit closer than what the picture shows? I dont have the code for the color they mixed me at home right now, I can go get it in my garage if that would help.

Thanks!

IMG_6241.JPG

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:59 am
Check under the door sill plate to see what color is there. If it is faded factory paint the true color should still exist under the sill plate.
You should read up on properly blending paint as no matter how close the match it will need to be blended so the eye doesn't see the repairs.
Taking a small panel (like a mirror) that is the correct color to your local jobber should allow them to tint the paint in order to match your sample.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:32 pm
Thank you. I highly suspect it is a custom paint. When you say learn about blending paint, do you mean mixing the paint? Or do you mean actually painting the repairs and make a smooth, feather transition to the old paint?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Blending as a spraying technique.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:25 am
Thanks again. I actually bought a book and read all of it before starting this project. The welding and sheet metal work has taken me a good amount of time so far. But now I'm at the stage where I'm using filler and sanding.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:09 pm
ask questions, post some pictures their are several quite knowledgeable people here and someone will be glad to help you.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:53 pm
Thank you Jay. My plan is to go back to the shop and see if they have chips with a closer match, and/or if they can help me tint the color they got from using the spectrometer.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 pm
2006 Ford code P1 looks like a good start.

https://static.cargurus.com/images/site ... x1200.jpeg

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:08 pm
That is not a terrible start there,it is just to green and may need some yellow.If it was me I would look at the formula and see what toners are in it and mix it again.Now this is what we call reverse tinting( you leave out a portion of a toner) I would mix it again and leave out half of the green toner and I bet you would be very close.You can always add more if you need to.Always stick to the toners in the formula,dont start pulling colors off the shelf.If you have a code to work with or a camera shot you can get it very close .In my system I can take a camera shot and do a sprayout to check,now if the color isn't a good match I can take another picture of my sprayout and it will fine tune it for a closer match.You can write a book on color matching andit can get very frustrating.

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:35 pm
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it. I will post new results as soon as I have them.
Next

Return to Body and Paint