Primer use

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:50 pm
What would I use a epoxy for or a DTM high fill? Also can anyone tell me how does the Tamo DTM primers sand in comparison to Finish 1 710?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 pm
epoxys are excilent for bare metal areas. I just depends on what your doing. DTM primer is just that direct to metal your ok to bare metal. I've never used the primers listed but most all 2k primer will sand good.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 am
There are a lot of painters that complain that the DTM primers
shrink a lot, epoxies are probably the least shrinkage primer out there.
Plus, epoxy has a much greater sealing and adhesion properties.
But Epoxy doesn't build well and needs more time to be easy to sand.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:48 am
Tamco DTM epoxy primer is like super glue that sticks to anything, does not provide much build, and sands fine after a couple of days. I am not familiar with Finish 1 710.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:32 am
Epoxy primer is great for bare metal, plastic (with adhesion promoter) and fiberglass. As stated it doesn't provide much build and takes longer to cure for sanding purposes. It does however offer excellent rust prevention and remains flexible enough to prevent cracking and chipping.

DTM is a direct to metal build primer. Designed to eliminate the need for epoxy or etch primers while providing enough build to fill pits and other defects in the metal.

2k build primers are meant to go on top of either epoxy or etch primers. They provide the build to fill pits and other defects and are generally easy to sand.

2k high build primers are thicker version of the regular 2k primer and provide more build per coat.

I prefer epoxy on my restoration work but have used TAMCO DTM on a couple of repaint jobs and it performed great.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint