Best process for painting an engine ???

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:00 am
Hello everyone,
So what's the BEST paint system for an engine. I know it's not the rattle can route. Will regular 2K epoxy followed by 2K base and clear work fine?

Also, what about aluminum heads and intake? Is there any special prep for them?

Thanks ~ Lenny B

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:45 pm
over the years I've done everything from air cooled motorcycle engines to 16 cyl EMD turbo tugboat engines. most all engines never get over 250 deg. and most paints will tolerate that easily I've really never had a problem either with s.s. urethane or base coat. usually on a bare steel engine I shoot an etch prime then a sealer then my color. I've done a few were we ground the steel block and heads smooth these got the etch prime then a coat of 2k primer. I would then sand the primer to smooth out the grinding marks sometimes another light coat of 2k or just a sealer and color would be required. the only place you might have problems is that on some engines the exhaust runner cast into the head is long say NOT like a sb chevy were there is no exposed exhaust runner. on these heads you might see a little scorching of the paint one important thing here is the tune of the engine a little retard of the timing can greatly increase exhaust temps. also you'll want to keep you film thickness down as much as you can. for aluminum you can use the same procedure only you etch coat will be different I've used Alodine on aluminum ( airplanes ) but its for aluminum google it. I would check with a auto body jobber about etch primers for aluminum. that's about all I can tell you.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint