Orange peal

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm
If I shoot single stage color & have some orange peal in the last coat & do not color sand it out but rather continue with several coats of clear & then wet sand & polish will I see the orange peal? Thanks, Tom south florida.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 pm
No

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:53 pm
As a test I tried covering badly orange peeled metallic basecoat with clear just to see how it would tun out. I would assume the same results for single stage.

- The clear comes out with super bad peel. It's like the clear stacks on top of the high spots or something.
- It is real easy to sand through the clear and into the high spots of the BC.
- After getting the clear nice and flat and spraying another couple of coats of clear on I could still kinda see the peel. Not in the shine of the clear, but as variations in color and metallic orientation. You couldn't see it from 10 feet, but if you got up close you could.

If the peel is bad my advice would be to sand the BC fairly flat (and respray if it's a metallic) before applying clear coat.

Just my 2 centavos.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:17 pm
^^^ GOOD POST :goodjob: I wasn't thinking metallic and with s.s. you can't sand it out. if the OP is light you'll probably be ok if its heavy you might want to sand and recoat the color and see if you can get it flatter. it all depends on how nit picky you are.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:14 am
Thanks,I know what gotta do.

Return to Body and Paint